Windows Defender & Windows Update failure

1. Hello, fairly new here, so was not shure where exactly to post this. Windows Defender has not worked properly since around may, it will start and stop on its own, now its to the point where it will not turn on. I have Microsoft Security Essentials, bit no viruses has been detected. Also Windows Update does not work properly either. I recieve the error code: "Code 80070422 Windows has encountered an unknown error" . I run the fit it tool provided on mocrosofts web page and I get "Windows Update components must be repaired". I run the repair and it will still not work. Any help/Advise is greatly appreciated :)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,024   +220

Which version {xp, vista, win/7, win/8}?

Using an admin login, get to the service manager (control->admin tools->services)
    now make sure all of these are in Started status; if not, dbl-click and set startup to Automatic and then start the service
    • wauserv (windows update)
    • bits (background Intelligent Transfer)
    • DcomLaunch (DCOM Service Process Launcher)
  3. Communications

Communications TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 28

My OS is Windows 7. Dcom is up and running, bits is running, but I could not find a wauserv. I have windows defender on there, but its set to manual, and is off. I attempted to set it as Automatic and to start the service, but it would not start, I get a message saying the service started and stopped, and it reverts back to manual.
  4. jobeard

As long as it will start, it's fine that it goes back to sleep
  5. Communications

Communications TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 28

Ok, thanks. Where I work, we have Entrasys for wireless capabilities, and when I try to connect to the system via my laptop, I get a message saying im in violation of the network security policy, saying that "Patch Update has not been run in 149 days. Patch Update must have been run in the past 30 days to be granted access" I figured this was something to do with defender. how do I run a patch update?
  6. jobeard

Your company has implemented the NAP feature of win/7.

I BELIEVE, you only need to get Windows Update to run but if "Patch Update..." still occurs, you need to talk to the help desk.

I'm 90% sure that Defender is not part of the problem.
  7. drensmith

drensmith Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

I had an older pc..windows6 vista, got a virus, defender diddent even find it , let alone fix it. avast found and fixed it. since then (2years) I used avast and comono firewall..never a problem since,,using it on newer pc now. good luck
  8. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,554   +184

I've not heard any good news about Windows Defender. Have turned it off in the pc's I've worked on.
    drensmith likes this.
  9. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 751   +113

You cannot have both microsoft security essentials and windows defender active at the same time.

windows defender came in with windows 7.

if you install microsoft security essentials, windows defender will become inactive and will no longer be updated under windows updates services.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.