Windows Explorer frequently locks then get werfault.exe application error (Windows 7)

Negotiator

I've posted on the Malware removal forum before. This is the first time I've posted here.

SPECS (all stock that came with the system):
CPU: Intel Pentium E5400 2.70 GHz
MB: ASUS CM5571
RAM: 6 GB Total - 3 sticks DDR3 Apacer 2048 MBytes PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
GPU: Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset 2814 MBytes
PSU: 300-Watt (115V~6A, 230V~3A, 50/60Hz)

Details:
A few weeks back my dad had somebody look at his computer and "fix" some problems. However, I don't know what was wrong with it. Whenever I used it I saw no problems. Now after whoever looked at the computer messed with it, Windows Explorer frequently locks up for a moment and then it displays a WerFault.exe - Application Error that states "The instruction at (some address) referenced memory at (same address). The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program." The lock ups appear to happen at ramdom because it locks up when sitting idle as well.

The computer itself doesn't crash and there are no BSOD. I looked at the Event Logs in the Event Viewer and found errors occuring "Windows Logs\Application" portion. When looking at the error details, they all had a common link. All had "Faulting module name: fslsp_x64.dll_unloaded" and "Faulting module path: fslsp_x64.dll." (I have attached a notepad file with 5 of the most recent errors from the event logs).

I looked into fslsp_x64.dll and it has something to do with F-Secure Security. My dad's computer no longer has F-Secure Security. He has Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed now. I had him try uninstalling Malewarebytes and reinstalling F-Secure to see if that would fix the problem, but he couldn't reinstall F-Secure. He would get an error that there is a conflicting program that needed to be terminated manually. System Restore Points do not go back far enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• eventLogs.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the link. After reading through the posts, they didn't really help me. I know that the fslsp_x64.dll is causing the errors. So I want to try and fix that to see if it helps.

Can you find the dll and safely delete it? Its more or less a left over as you stated from F-Secure. Is it causing any problems over all for windows? You may want and look on F-Secure website. If they have a uninstaller. If so this may help you out.

I found the dll in a left over folder from the F-Secure. I cannot delete the folder or the dll. It says the folder is in use. I tried re-installing the F-Secure to see what the conflicting program is and saw that the coflicting program has to do with a broken or not completely uninstalled program (I'm assuming the orginial F-Secure).

And yes it does cause problems for windows. Windows Explorer frequently stops responding.

I did find an F-Secure uninstaller, but it wouldn't run. I would get a "Windows Explorer stopped responding message."

It turns out that I may have downloaded the wrong Uninstall Tool. I believe I found the right one because after running it, the folder and dll no longer appears. Hopefully the issue is solve.

Hopefully it is. Just remember when you delete a old virus program try to always use there uninstall programs, Most case it takes the left over dlls and such out of your OS.

I found the dll in a left over folder from the F-Secure. I cannot delete the folder or the dll. It says the folder is in use. I tried re-installing the F-Secure to see what the conflicting program is and saw that the coflicting program has to do with a broken or not completely uninstalled program (I'm assuming the orginial F-Secure).

If you make a note of the DLL that needs deleting, then boot from a boot CD (e.g. UBCD, Hiren's or a Linux live disk), you should be able to delete the offending file, as it will now be under the "other", inactive, OS on the HDD and so available to zap. Hope this helps :)

Thank you for your reply. I found the correct F-Secure Uninstall tool. It removed the dll and I haven't heard of the computer having any problems since.

Back