Windows explorer won't start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexterity

Really big problem with my OS

Okay so at a random time, my explorer stopped working, i restart, none of my startup apps work nor does my explorer work, i try to run it through task manager and what happens is it opens up for .5 of a second then closes, right now im not using explorer haha
i did a virus scan and my computer's clean of any viruses or trojans or whatever, and it doesnt open up in safe mode either, ive restarted alot too, doesnt do anything....I really don't know what to do

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`d like to check that your system is free form any nasties.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log into this thread.

If your HJT log turns out to be clean, I`ll give you some further instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The good news is your HJT log is clean.

This probably means you have some corrupt system files etc.

Try doing a repair as per this thread HERE. This will leave all your data intact, although it`s always a good idea to have backups available.

Once you`ve finished the repair, you will need to run Windows updates. this is because doing a repair install will wipe any updates and return the OS to whichever version is on your Windows cd.

Regards Howard :)

lol so basically just reinstall windows....i was hoping i wouldn't need to do that, but fair enough. Plus backing up 100 gb of data is hard to do lol, thank you though

yeah...well...i repaired it, seemed like i was installing it again and yeah settings are the same except for the resolution.....

but explorer still doesnt run, im screwed

now that i've repaired windows and my explorer still doesn't work, my resolution has gone very small and i don't know how to change it without explorer.....i'll give someone 10 dollars to whoever can give me back my explorer without reformatting =D

and if it helps, i found out my explorer does open but closes right away when i run it through task manager

Obviously somethings not right.

Go HERE and follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Can you also give me a list of what`s running in your task manager in the processes tab?

Regards Howard :)

Well the only online virus scanner I can use is trend micro as I cant open ie...so...yeah thats scanning now but my avg virus scanner thing said it was clean so

Attachments

• process.JPG
    process.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
Nothing nasty in your task manager.

Obviously your system is clean, so we can rule out viruses etc.

A windows repair hasn`t worked.

I think your only course of action now is to reformat and reinstall.

I know this is someting you don`t want to do, but I just can`t think of anything else.

Regards Howard :(

Does explorer run in safe mode?

If it does, you can access control panel from there. If it doesn`t run from safemode I don`t think there`s anything you can do.

Regards Howard :(

try this to do a system file checker/repair:
go to start/run
in the box, enter SFC /SCANNOW
you will need to have your windows cd ready, because it will ask for it and repair corrupted system files, if it doesn't match the original files on the cd.

yeah i did that a while ago, didn't work...so its not cause of corrupted windows files because if it was it was already replaced and wasnt detected as corrupted...so.....argh

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic54331.html

first that happened, got fixed after random fiddling of the wires

ok i don't know where to post my crazy problems...so i'm reposting here. i reformatted, things going great then my AVG Virus scan said some file which i dont remember what it was in system32 folder had a trojan which i forgot the name was, so I healed. 30 min later i restart after the installations of some random programs like cyberlink products or something. so i Start>restart, but it doesnt shut down so i hold the power button to shut it off. then when i turn it on, the computer turns on, all the fans are running and the cd drive ejects, but the main led light or something doesnt show. it's http://cgi.ebay.com/P4-3-6GHz-2GB-D...QQihZ011QQcategoryZ114193QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this computer exactly with a lesser video card and a new psu which i had to replace, the alienhead glows blue when it's working and red when its not I guess, it turns red a couple times when it starts to boot up normally which was normal, but when i turned the computer on, it didn't have any color and thre was nothing i can do. i kept retrying over and over again, replugging things in for about thirty minutes, then when i boot it up, it works and i get some message that says, c_1252.nls is corrupt and it needs to be replaced/repaired through the cd and tells me to contact my supporter and tell them something which i forget. so i restart with the cd, boot up the cd, it gets to "setup is starting windows" then i hear the cd drive stop running and it just stops there as if it's still starting or something. so i restart and see if i cant boot it normally, sometimes it shows some blue screen for about 5 seconds sometimes it shows me the c_1252.nls error again, either way it automatically reboots so I end up trying lots of different things but bottom line....i don't know what to do.

i apologize for bad english and lack of formation of words and such i'm in a big rush and hurry etc. i really need my computer to work

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following files: dmboot.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the fist time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly intalled. If this is a new instlalation, ask your hardware manufacterer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced setup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF8E145E5, 0x00000001, 0xF7BA758, 0x00000000)

*** dmboot.sys - Address F75BA758 base at F75A9000, DataStamp 3b7d875a

I turned on my computer just now, restarted by itself, said there was a problem, chose start with last good configuration, restarted again, decided to boot with my windows cd. As my windows cd was loading, blue screen popped up.

And the error that wasn't blue that involved c_1252.nls said the reason it kept restarting and crashing was a software problem from what i remember.

when i start my computer it automatically goes to advanced setup, and whether i start it normally, last best configuration or any of the safe modes, they restart, when i boot up with the cd, it freezes while loading

Okay cd booted up, pressed enter, blue screen says BAD_POOL_CALLER

hmm

OKAY SO IT STARTED TO RECOVER, STOPPED AT 2 PRECENT said some file didnt copy correctly, pressed enter to retry, did it again with a different file, did it one more time then blue screen with no particular message

when you turn on your machine, does the fan run?
this sounds like memory or psu problem.
take out memory sticks and install them one at a time, to see which one causes this problem.
also go here to find out if your psu is sufficient to handle the power demand:
http://journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php
this will tell you if your power supply is adequate depending on the number of peripherral attached to your machine.
post back.

yeah fans run, it's not a psu problem, i just replaced it with a 600w from a 450 after it died from overheating probably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back