TechSpot

Windows failed to start - Toshiba Satellite L655

1. To start, I left my laptop off for two days while away on vacation. I return home and attempt to load it and receive the windows error message:
    "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
    I am left with 2 options:
    1. to boot start windows boot manager
    2. to load windows normally

When I try option 1, at the bottom of screen there's a bar that says loading windows file and then the screen goes to a black screen with an arrow, never to load--even after a substantial amount of time (hours)
    When I try option 2, it goes to the windows logo screen for a couple of minutes and then returns to the error message screen.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S115
    Windows 7 64 bit
    My 1 year warranty on the laptop just ended, less than a month ago and when contacting Toshiba they note this. Upon a 2 minute conversation I was told that the harddrive crashed and needs to be replaced as well as windows OS ($200).
    I just don't understand what could have happened because prior to leaving for vacation, windows was functioning no problem.
    My laptop is not making any weird sounds. I just want to be sure their solution is necessary or is there any other solutions I could try before dishing out $200+ for this $600 computer. Also know any strategies getting around out of date warranty when right outside, within weeks of the warranty period.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,820   +163

I don't know if you got this settled, but it sounds like the hard drive might be okay if you can re-format and re-load Windows fresh
  3. top_model_guy

top_model_guy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 93

I actually have not--been using a friend's computer in the meantime.
    What would I need to do to re-format and re-install windows?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,820   +163

Are the restore options still on the loading screen when the computer starts? Something like "press F? to choose the restore function". If not, You will need a Windows 7 install disc to boot from

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.