Windows installer pops up at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently changed my setting under msconfig ( System Configuration Utility). I set it to normal start up. And after i rebooted, the windows installer dialog box always pops up every time i startup the computer. I press cancel and it will close but then after a few seconds, it will appear again. It appears around 3-4 times. I changed the settings to selective start up again and unchecked some of the services from the start up tab but i still have the problem. How do i resolve this?

Normal Startup vs Selective Startup:
If you use the msconfig utility to access the Startup menu and make changes on that menu, you will need to remain in Selective Startup. The nag message that comes up after the reboot following these changes, suggest that Selective Startup is only a diagnostic mode and you should return to Normal Mode.

This is not entirely accurate. Remaining in Selective Startup is the only way to keep the changes. Virtually every program installed on a PC comes with it on the Startup menu and very few programs are actually needed to start at boot. They are the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and network processes if on network. The rest can be called up when needed.

Services vs Processes:
The msconfig utility Startup menu deals with processes. Services is an entirely different category. Services can also be customized for settings of Automatic, Manual or Disabled, with care taken to check the Dependency tab of each Service. Here is help with Services:
http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

When you have finished customizing the Startup menu using msconfig, click on Apply> OK> Reboot> Close the nag message after checking 'don't show this message again'.

IF you have checked a process to now start at boot and are now getting the installer message, it is possible that the program for that process has not been correctly or fully installed. If that is the case, a reinstall of that program is recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back