TechSpot

Windows is freezing on NEW computer

By DonNagual
Aug 9, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just put it all together 2 days ago (parts in profile) and it has been working like a dream.

This morning I wake up, install MS Messenger and a new game then go out for a few hours for errands.

I come home and now my computer won't boot up. Windows starts booting up, and at SOME point, it freezing. Sometimes during the bootup, sometimes I get all the way to seeing my desktop wallpaper. But eventually it locks up and I can't even contl-alt-del to get out.

I went in in safe mode and did a roll back.

Didn't fix the problem.

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 3,566

Hold up on that.... I did a system roll back to yesterday and that seems to be working now. I installed the Ipod software yesterday, and that seems to have been it.

I love the restore point function.

3. DonNagual

Grrrrr.

Still having problems. It is just locking up on me randomly. Thought I fixed it above, but I was wrong.

Once it even locked up on me when I went into safe mode with network support.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? My latest hunch is that I have my network drivers installed incorrectly. The mobo has two network ports, and for some reason each one has a different driver, one is showing up as the nforce networking controller, and the other as the Marvell Yukon PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller... could this be a cause?

I have them both disabled right now, and so far so good....

4. DonNagual

Still major problems here....

Anyone with any ideas?

It was working fine for about an hour, then I go for an hour walk, come back and it instantly freezes up on me 3 times before I can finally get into windows again.

I also noticed in my bios that pnp was disabled (I re-enabled it) and that my primary graphics for startup was not set at PCIe.

My temps are fine (45-50c) for both the board and CPU.

Anyone with ideas on how to diagnose?

5. DonNagual

More info:

If I can actually fully load into windows without a crash, it seems I am no longer at risk of freezing. The loadup process is where I am at risk, and after that it is clear. However other things have happened after bootup.

1. I lost my internet connection once. (wireless PCMCIA card in a PCI slot) until I rebooted.
    2. I lost my connection to my Ipod (1394 connection) until I reboot.
    3. My mouse will not connect to the mouse port (doesn't recognize it), it MUST be via USB port (doesn't matter if I reboot or not)

6. DonNagual

It seems that temp has something to do with it all as well.

Right now the system is at 45-50c and I am having no problems what so ever. I have rebooted many times, no hangups.

If I leave the computer for a while and let it cool down, when I go to turn it on it can not get into windows without hanging.

7. DonNagual

I have given up, and completely re-installed windows. Started a new thread to get some tips this time round.

Cheers for all the help... Oh! that was a cheap shot! lol. I know most of you are asleep now anyways. The joys of living in Tokyo.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.