TechSpot

Windows language or facilities for COPYing files?

By curiousguy44
Apr 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to set up a job that will do the following:

copy C:\folder1 to D:\folder1
    copy C:\folder2 to D:\folder2.

I can't seem to find the language to do this.

I plan to set this job up to run once a week. That's the easy part--Task Scheduler. But how do I set up the language or instructions to actually copy from one file to another? If Windows 98 (or XP) has the language or facilities to do this, is there any special name I must give the file with the instructions? And how do I get an icon (the icon can be any old icon I can find) onto my desktop that will be a short cut to these instructions?

2. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

copy it into notepad and save it as a .bat file, then set it to run once a week in the task scheduler

go to the command line, and type "xcopy /?" (without the quotes) to see what each of the switches I've included do.

3. curiousguy44

curiousguy44 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tnx, Spike. Will this also work on an XP machine?

The code you showed me looks like a DOS command, and I know that MS-DOS is part of Windoze 98. So will that also work on a friend's XP machine, or is there some other code or facility I have to use?

4. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

yes, it works in the XP command console :)

To be honest, I don't know if it would work in win98s DOS environment though. The switches might be different for 98 ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.