Windows Logon/Welcome Screen is black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just updated Windows XP Pro this morning. I have autoupdates on so I have all previous updates of Windows. Anyway, updates installed fine, I was prompted to reboot the computer. I closed all other programs and rebooted.

Windows loads fine then when I hit the welcome screen, my monitor goes blank, displays an "out of range" warning. I reboot normally, the welcome screen is completely black aside from my mouse icon which responds normally. I reboot my computer in safe mode only, get a welcome screen, login, do a system restore to the point right before the updates. I reboot in safe mode again but the welcome screen is black again. I reboot in all the other possible methods to load windows: safe mode, safe mode /networking, safe mode /command, VGA mode, etc. Everything results in a black screen with the mouse icon.

So basically, because my computer is password protected, I cannot log in since i get no prompt watso ever to even log into. Its finals week, not a good time to not have the computer for an entire day. Help please.

Btw, my monitor is a brand new: ViewSonic VX710, my video card is a nVidia 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 w/TV Out. My other comp specs just incase you need em: 2.4 ghz Intel Pentium 4 w/HT, 512 mb DDR ram.

Have you tried repairing your install from your windows disk?

If you know of someone with a monitor that does high res you may want to see if you can hook it up to that and make your resolution lower after the repair. Try setting it to 800x600 if you can. Then hook it back up to your monitor. I don't know why it would just change though that seems to be what your first problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back