Windows not finding my network adapter (or at least its driver)

losdavos

Hi,

Suddenly my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 (running Windows 8.1) can't get on the internet (or any network, I guess).

Windows's troubleshooter just tells me "if you have a network adapter, the drivers for the adapter may not be installed correctly." And when I click on the new system (which appears where usually appears where a wifi icon appears), it just tells me "No connections are available." (Usually it gives me a list of wifi networks.)

I wanted to attach to this post an .etl and a .cab file I got from the Windows troubleshooter but those file types aren't allowed. One other thing--the problem appears to come and go, at least depending on some factors or others. I brought it into "Geek Squad" at Best Buy since I figured it's probably an easy fix, but of course when the guy there turned on the machine, everything worked fine--and of course now back at home it's not working at all. My wifi is def working on other devices.
Thanks,
Losdavos

Hi thanks for checking in. Yes, still fighting it, but now it's different. I went to the following page and downloaded and installed the Win 8.1 64 network adapter driver. That enabled me to again see my wireless network, but now the computer constantly freezes for a minute at a time. Especially if I ever move my pointer down to the taskbar--forget it--then the pointer always instantly disappears and doesn't reappear for at least a minute, then appears again for a second, then freezes again for a whole minute. I'm not very optimistic that I'll be able to get that working well again.

Oops I forgot to include a link to the Lenovo support page I mentioned. Here it is: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro...rack=Homepage:Body_Search Products&beta=false

Hi thanks for checking in. Yes, still fighting it, but now it's different. I went to the following page and downloaded and installed the Win 8.1 64 network adapter driver. That enabled me to again see my wireless network, but now the computer constantly freezes for a minute at a time. Especially if I ever move my pointer down to the taskbar--forget it--then the pointer always instantly disappears and doesn't reappear for at least a minute, then appears again for a second, then freezes again for a whole minute. I'm not very optimistic that I'll be able to get that working well again.

This may be caused by a failing Wifi internal card. You could try using a low cost external USB wifi device

Back