Windows or video driver error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

I have Windows 7
When i start up the computer it goes through the mobo specs and what not than it goes to Windows, shows the Windows logo.
Next is supposed to be the user login screen from Windows. About 1 in every 3 boots will it successfully bring me to the user login screen. The other 2 of 3 times my screen just goes black (however my monitor is still getting "some kind" of signal but if it does not get a signal it gives a message that the monitor will now shut off) My keyboard lights are on.. the tower lights are on.. I can hear the fans. Everything seems to be running good except it's having the problems with always getting me to the user login screen. My guess is it's something with windows and not a video card error. I've updated my video card drivers and it's still doing it.
Any suggestions?

Could be one of many things. What have you done lately to the computer? Added any hardware or software? Could be a driver or faulty memory. Download memtest from the forums and run it overnight. Also please read this.....

I bought a new tower and put all my hardware in there and this started happening. No hardware changes as far as memory, drives, etc...

PSU might be faulty even if it's new. Might not be working at the right voltage/wattage? To you have a PSU tester if not, try another PSU in the unit and see if it boots up? If not check the seat of the CPU, any adapter cards, RAM HDD, Blue-ray, or DVD connections? Check the monitor connections and back to any video card? Are using HDMI connection?

PSU might be faulty even if it's new. Might not be working at the right voltage/wattage? To you have a PSU tester if not, try another PSU in the unit and see if it boots up? If not check the seat of the CPU, any adapter cards, RAM HDD, Blue-ray, or DVD connections? Check the monitor connections and back to any video card? Are using HDMI connection?
I will def try to use my old PSU. My old one is 400w and this one was 450w so I figured I'd go with the higher powered one but that could be the prob!

Swapped the PSU's and still had prob, going over all my connections and my video card was not seated porperly, the little screw you put in the secure to vid card to the tower makes my card sit in the housing at a weird angle so I just left the screw out and made sure the vid card is sitting right. Only done 1 reboot so far but also 1 of my video games was running funky and now is running perfect so problem should be fixed!
Thanks for the help

if it were me I would create a bootable disc with linux or something then boot from it to see if it was windows causing it or hardware. If it boots to the bootable os then its winodws. If it doesnt boot to the disc then its hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back