Windows patches may become automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
In the aftermath of the MSBlast worm, Microsoft says it may be time to change the way Windows updates its security patches by making the process automatic by default.

A Microsoft representative said the company is "giving strong consideration to enabling Auto Update by default in future versions of Windows," though the company has not yet committed to a time frame. If Microsoft decides to go ahead with the change, it could be implemented in "Longhorn," the code name for the next version of Windows expected to come out in late 2004.

Can they do that? Its kinda like them making your PC download whatever they say, when they want, where they want. Not cool!

I agree 100% with that action, the only downfall would be that 56k users bandwidth would be hogged while their system is downloading updates and there is always the possiblity than an update causes a problem rather than fix it on some PC's.

Since you have to tell MS update to go ahead and install, it shouldnt raise a new problem with users not realizing that an update was installed which should make it no large of a problem to say "hey I think that update is what caused this new problem on my PC". (other than those that already don't know enough about PC's to realize this -- but that is another problem in itself).

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Can they do that? Its kinda like them making your PC download whatever they say, when they want, where they want. Not cool!

Yeah, that isn't cool. Though, when installing Windows, you agree to let them do whatever (basically take over your computer) in the threat of security or critical updating and stuff. But still, it should be able to be turned off.

Another concern I would have is with patches that have not been properly tested, and may disable some other functions while patching holes in the intended area.

Of course, auto updating a patch that disables net access is one sure way to prevent intrusion by worms, and preventing further auto updates! :p

Yeah, wouldn't want that box you've got at your friend's work for the fast internet connection to get shut off from the internet now would you? :p

"making the process automatic by default. " That doesn't mean its mandatory, it just means that you'd have to change it yourself if you just wanted it to notify you or whatever. Sounds like a good idea since many people tend to forget about it.

If however it was mandatory auto update, no, that would be a bad idea.

Sounds like a fine enough idea, most PC users are fairly ignorant when it comes to updating their PCs, so this can only be a good thing really. Turning it off shouldn't be made any harder, it's just it'll be set to On when you install Windows.

This is already built into windows XP. I have mine setup to download the updates and notify me when they are available. I can choose whether or not to install it, but it is a feature.

And as Phantasm66 said you can turn this off if you don't want to use it.

Isn't it already set as "default" in Windows XP? I always disable it each time I install Windows... What a waste of bandwidth for 56kers!

oh, I thought it would install and all automatically. Just seems almost like they can take control of your PC :blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back