Windows Shortcuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmabunny

hey guys, some time ago i spilt a drink on my laptop, and since then, im having problems with IE and windows keep resizing continuously like mad. it does it randomly, sometimes it wont stop other times it wont do it for days, so im presuming somethings wrong on the keyboard with the f11 key, so is there a way to disable this function?

You are better to remove the keyboard (usually screws underneath, and held in also by clips) and fully spraying it with circuit board cleaner.

Note: Hardware experience and referring to the manual regarding anti-static (and power) issues should be addressed first.

Yes I know, but a tech shop can do it in about 15Mins (All up!) I know I could.

Sorry not trying to be smug, it's just that you really should get this done.
The real concern is, there also could be remains of fluid Under the keyboard, and also in the ribbon connection to the motherboard.

I believe that you should get this done. ie ~$50 against $800 for another laptop (if things get worse. (By the way, it is possible the tech shop will say you need another keyboard - just ask them to do their best at cleaning it first)

That's my recommendation.

and i am going to get it in a shop, when i get some cash. but i need a quick fix for now lol!! so can i disable the f11 key??

Oh, good question.

I had to think about that (because there are programs that do keyboard keys re-arranging and what not)

But after some thought, there is no way to disable one (or any combination) of keys on your keyboard.

But.

You could plug in an external keyboard (USB) which would enable you to use the keys normally. (possibly even PS2 Keyboard (the round purple plug one) if your laptop has that connection on the back.

Yes I think that will work :)

Actually from plugging in an external keyboard, you may also need to disable the laptop keyboard as well (you could just test it first in IE)

But if the problem still exists, then go to Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc) and right click on your Laptop's Keyboard and disable it (remember to re-enable it when your keyboard is fixed, or before going to a tech shop, because they might think that the keyboard is dead)

This almost certainly doesn't help, but in the small offchance the Windows key is involved in this, there IS a program that will disable just that. I know because once upon a time I was playing some game where I'd keep accidentally hitting the Windows key, which was tossing me out to the desktop after another keystroke or something. I don't even remember the details. For some reason I remember the program name though, or at least I think I do. It was ihatethiskey.exe (probably you shouldn't go downloading that without really confirming what it is for, its been years since I used it and I'd hate for someone to have created some malware under the same name).

Here's the home site for that exe: http://www.bytegems.com/ihatethiskeydeluxe.shtml (the site seems ok)

But all the tech boards report it as Malware
I'd like to re-confirm that. ie is it something that could just be disabled from firewall.
If anyone has a really strong defence, I'd like to know, if they believe this is truly Malware or not, because the program does look good.

Well, when I ran it. It was cool, or at least I had no probs. I'll check (I keep all installers I dl)...

Mine was IHateThisKeySetup.exe, 589KB, Modified Date of May 8th 2004.

I keep all installers I dl
So do I, it's madness. Hundreds of text documents with their originating URL (just in case someone asks, where did you get that from - as you know)

And gigabytes of programs, I can't even think about sorting through (actually I might today just delete programs probably waaay outdated). I've even got all game install files. And about 50 huge ISOs of disks I backed up. Why? I don't want them anymore.

With the world going more and more online, soon Hard Drives will be obsolete anyway.

Anyway about that keyboard :) Any news, or are you offline because you stuffed your computer, through it?

Edit

Oh, your online now !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back