Windows Update not functioning

Windows 7, 64bit. New Hard Drive - clean install. Updated drivers. Here is the error. I tried to stop the service in CMD window - said "access denied" I have followed every suggestion I've found on the web, but to no avail. Help! working on this for days!!!error.PNG

Have you tried the trouble shooter for windows updates ? In the control panel. This may fix your problem.

Go into control panel change the view to icons then open administrative tools then services and make sure Background Intelligent Transfer Service is started and set to automatic. MS also offers an update fixer through their web site.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

There is an application called AutoPatcher that will scan your system for updates you need and download and install them for you. Although I don't know if it would fail the same way when attempting to download. It's a great way to catch up on critical updates from a new install instead of waiting for MS to scan find and install 200 criticals. Since the last major update for Windows 7 was SP1 a few years ago there are a ton of criticals to get. Are you at least up to SP1?

Last edited:
Back