Windows updates for XP

By thewolfe
Mar 26, 2003
  1. Windows updates for XP

A friend just purchased a new computer w/ XP. There will be no "sensitive" material on his machine.

I have heard some horror stories about the updates and service packs.

What's the census of opinion out there?
  2. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

What horror stories do you speak of? I have not encountered any problems with Windows Updates or SP installations. Although I can understand if some might think that SP updating may be a little on the frustrating side as it opens one of those annoying web installer windows and downloads 50MB instead of the specified least of 30. But besides that and a few other things, I have not encountered any serious problems after or during updating.
  3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

Same here, no problems.
  4. thewolfe

thewolfe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 238

Thanks for the info. An updating we will go.......
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

I have seen an update trash a system, but this is a very scarce thing. Its always best to take periodic backups of your system using software such as drive image or norton ghost.
  6. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Heheh that's cool. I seem to recall being at a party very wasted where someone had one of those.... :) ;)
  8. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

lol - I have that doll/jeti stuffed somewhere in my closet. :D
  9. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

I see your quite the Star Wars fan Phantasm, I am also a large fan. What was your favorite episode? Mine would have to be Episode II due to the great job they did in graphics with ILM. Although Episode V is also a favorite of mine ;) .
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.