TechSpot

Windows updates for XP

By thewolfe
Mar 26, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windows updates for XP

A friend just purchased a new computer w/ XP. There will be no "sensitive" material on his machine.

I have heard some horror stories about the updates and service packs.

What's the census of opinion out there?
  2. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

What horror stories do you speak of? I have not encountered any problems with Windows Updates or SP installations. Although I can understand if some might think that SP updating may be a little on the frustrating side as it opens one of those annoying web installer windows and downloads 50MB instead of the specified least of 30. But besides that and a few other things, I have not encountered any serious problems after or during updating.
  3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

Same here, no problems.
  4. thewolfe

thewolfe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 287

Thanks for the info. An updating we will go.......
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

I have seen an update trash a system, but this is a very scarce thing. Its always best to take periodic backups of your system using software such as drive image or norton ghost.
  6. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Heheh that's cool. I seem to recall being at a party very wasted where someone had one of those.... :) ;)
  8. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

lol - I have that doll/jeti stuffed somewhere in my closet. :D
  9. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

I see your quite the Star Wars fan Phantasm, I am also a large fan. What was your favorite episode? Mine would have to be Episode II due to the great job they did in graphics with ILM. Although Episode V is also a favorite of mine ;) .
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.