Windows Vista - How to stop cascading windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpticalOrange99

Hey. Question is simple. How do I stop windows cascading? If I open Windows Explorer folder (A) and then Windows Explorer folder (B) then (B) will forever be a inch or so to the right of where it should be forever. This cascading will continue on and eventually all folders will have migrated to the right of the screen and will completely obscure my lovely Google Desktop Sidebar :'(.

Please someone help!

I haven't received much help on any forum on the net with my Vista woes as of yet. I've tried MSDN, Windows Vista Community, this place and not many people seem to know the ins and outs of it yet. So hmmm I'm not too confident anyone will bother replying to this.

Also I think I already know the answer to my question. You can't stop windows cascading. Here is a thread from this year where a guy with Windows 98SE is trying to stop the windows cascading permanently, and he's had no luck.

Go to Folder Options. That first tab is General. In there, tick the Open Each Folder in the Same Window.

Not a very complex problem if I'm understanding you right. I don't know it got set up to do that, every Windows installation I've seen since 98 I think has had them open in the same window.

I'm also a bit perplexed that you were unable to get help on other forums.

In Vista it is the exact same as SNGX said above but to get there click >Organize >Go down to Folder and Search options >

SNGX1275 said:
Go to Folder Options. That first tab is General. In there, tick the Open Each Folder in the Same Window.

Not a very complex problem if I'm understanding you right. I don't know it got set up to do that, every Windows installation I've seen since 98 I think has had them open in the same window.

I'm also a bit perplexed that you were unable to get help on other forums.

I'm not on the PC in question at the moment. But I think I have it set to open in the same window. But I think the problem is is that Just say I do this:

1) Start > Pictures
2) Start > Documents

Documents will open in its own window and thus the Documents's window has now "cascaded" to the bottom right of Pictures. When you use Windows explorer in this fashion it doesn't seem to have them open in the same window, but rather opens them in two separate windows.

And Blind dragon I'll check out what you were saying later. The graphics driver for the PC in question is completely broken at the moment. I don't really want to try it out on a pc with only 40% the resolution I'm used to.

EDIT: Oh and I meant about Vista in general. I find help on the net to do with Vista to be lax at best. XP you'll find alot of people who will help you with. Vista not so much.

Why not just have them open in full screen(maximized) they will stack on top of each other, then in the lower left tray you have an icon that says switch between windows. Then you can spin the wheel on your mouse and it will scroll through all your open windows with mini previews, or in basic i think it just pops up a bar with icons to pick which screen you want to go to

OpticalOrange99 said:
How do I stop windows cascading? If I open Windows Explorer folder (A) and then Windows Explorer folder (B) then (B) will forever be a inch or so to the right of where it should be forever. This cascading will continue on and eventually all folders will have migrated to the right of the screen
Can't you move them?

Blind Dragon said:
In Vista it is the exact same as SNGX said above but to get there click >Organize >Go down to Folder and Search options >

It is the same in Vista as I said too, if you have the menus enabled.

There is no way to go to Start -> My Documents, and then Start -> Pictures and have it open in the same window. That wouldn't make logical sense, you specifically opened 2 different things.

SNGX1275 said:
It is the same in Vista as I said too, if you have the menus enabled.

There is no way to go to Start -> My Documents, and then Start -> Pictures and have it open in the same window. That wouldn't make logical sense, you specifically opened 2 different things.

Yeah Well I have the address toolbar down in my taskbar as well, so I open many separate windows often. So I am still left with the problem of cascading windows. Bah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back