Windows Vista on an Intel Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a word, yes. I've installed the pre release version of vista on an intel core duo macbook pro using apple's trial "boot camp" program, but I've heard that parallels will work with vista as well. It works ok, but the system only has 512mb ram, and that isn't enough to run vista well. Also, the ati drivers I tried were kind of buggy, but maybe there are newer ones now...

As far as I know, gaming on windows on an intel mac is limited to apple's boot camp, as parallels is "emulating" the video card. I've heard parallels may support video acceleration in the future though. In win xp sp2 on an intel mac, gaming works pretty well. I've tried farcry, cod2, and nfs:carbon, and all work.

So, if you can run bf2 on a pc running vista, then it should work on an intel mac using bootcamp to run vista.

Trouble with sleep on lid close

I have also installed Windows Vista on my Core 2 Duo Macbook via Apple's Bootcamp. I have installed all of the Macbook drivers for Windows XP that Vista would let me (see guide.) I then installed Input Remapper which gives you a right mouse click, as well as keyboard volume control. However, I am having a couple of issues.

Sleep
1. If I set the Power Options to "Sleep on Lid Close," the Macbook will also wake up on lid close.
2. If I interrupt the Macbook while it is transitioning to sleep mode, the Macbook will crash.

Screen Brightness
I have not yet found a way to adjust screen brightness, through Windows Mobility Center or otherwise.

Is anyone aware of solutions to any of these issues?

Remember that an Intel Mac is basically a PC running Mac OS X. The only limitation for running Vista is in software, but in this case Boot Camp does work, then you are left with drivers being the only other thing to be worried about.

VvWolverinevV said:
I have also installed Windows Vista on my Core 2 Duo Macbook via Apple's Bootcamp. I have installed all of the Macbook drivers for Windows XP that Vista would let me (see guide.) I then installed Input Remapper which gives you a right mouse click, as well as keyboard volume control. However, I am having a couple of issues.

Sleep
1. If I set the Power Options to "Sleep on Lid Close," the Macbook will also wake up on lid close.
2. If I interrupt the Macbook while it is transitioning to sleep mode, the Macbook will crash.

Screen Brightness
I have not yet found a way to adjust screen brightness, through Windows Mobility Center or otherwise.

Is anyone aware of solutions to any of these issues?

I doubt many(or any) members here will be able to answer these questions, but I'd suggest you go here http://forum.onmac.net/ and check out the boot camp forums. They may have your answers. The guys there are much more experienced in macs running windows, and how to get it all working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back