Windows Vista Ultimate Retail Vs. 64-Bit DSP OEM Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on building a new machine. One question is where to get the OS from, im kinda convinced I want Vista Ultimate. I do have a valid XP liscence of XP, but I think id like to just purchase the full version. I've checked a couple places including tigerdirect.com and they have a version in the retal box which is part number: M17-2512 and they also have a version listed as Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DSP OEM DVD which is part number M17-7418.
The OEM one is way cheaper, and I'm wondering what is the difference between the two??? I'm kinda thinkin that Microsoft offers the oem version to pc builders at a better price, and tigerdirect has chosen to extend that price to anyone wanting to purchase it, rather than just install it on machines they sell. Also, I'm not sure why that have it labeled as 64bit... they also have a 32bit version listed which I have no clue about. Sooooo, If the retail version of Ultimate is 64bit, and the OEM/DSP version tigerdirect lists is 64-bit, is there a difference between the two???
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

You don't need the 64 bit unless you have equipment that benefits from it. However, you might find it useful in future builds and upgrades.
It seems to me that it would be useful to wait until the reports of problems start slipping in... we plan to wait until service pack 1.

The problem with the oem version is that it can only be installed once, and once only, making it so that you have to buy another version if you need to completely format you hard drive, which is pretty inconvenient :( .

Are you sure cfitzarl? I don't see why installing multiple times would be an issue. I thought the limitation was you couldn't change motherboards.

We have never had that experience... reinstalling has never been a problem... other than sometimes a phonecall on the product id.

That's what I read in some article about the OEM version of Vista, whether it is true, I don't know...

The new Vista OEM EULA states OEM can ONLY be installed on a single computer and cannot be transferred to another system. 'Computer' is defined by its system board.

In reality though, the Microsoft product activation center has been disregarding this detail (for now). They only ask you, "Is this copy of Vista installed on more than one computer". As long as you can truthfully answer 'No, just one', you will get a working activation key.

It's not really sanctioned by the MS Vista OEM EULA, but if the call center doesn't follow the EULA, should you...?

Ahhh, shades of grey...

I've had to deal with the activation center more than once, although I thought it would have changed with the release of Vista...I mean, can you imagine how many people have lied to them :unch: !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back