Windows Vista won't boot with my AMD Athlon XP 3000+ upgrade?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ upgrade - but Vista won't have it!?!?!

I've just upgraded my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ to a 3000+. After loads of not booting BIOS, messing with memory clock speed jumpers, I finally got the BIOS to recognise my processor, but now Windows won't boot, instead it gives me the following:

"BlInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000003f".

I'm sure all the hardware and the BIOS is good, the Motherboard (V400DBL) is rated for an XP 3000+ with 333MHz memory and the memory's definitely correct now, it just seems to be Windows. If I shift the FSB jumper back to 133MHz everything works fine. I've tried typing the error string into Google and it doesn't appear in any of the results. Can anyone help, or do I really have to run my 3000+ as a 2400 :-(

Thanks,

Peter.

Hello, PeteDGreenwood, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, i'm not exactly sure why this is happening, i have an Athlon XP-M 2600+ and vista ultimate and it works fine :confused: (edit: seems tedster beat me to it ;))

Also, please refrain from posting a new topic on the same subject, insteadm wait 12 hours to get a reply and if you don't get anything then by all means post a new reply in your thread to bump it to the top of the "new posts" list. I understand the feeling of urgency for getting your problem fixed but only posting once saves confusion and reduces clutter in the forums :) Thanks

Is your bios up to date?

http://www.machspeed.com/specs/discontinued.htm

CPU Support: AMD, Socket A, Up To AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Bus Speed: 200/ 266/ 333 MHZ
Expansion Slots: 1-8X AGP, 5 PCI
Max Memory: 3 DDR - 3 GB
Chipset: VIA KT400
IDE Controller: Supports ULTRA ATA 133
Additional Features: ATX Formfactor, 8x AGP, Onboard 3D Audio, and 10/100 LAN 2-USB2.0 + 4 Add ports, 3-DDR slots Supports 266/333 ATA133

Tedster said:
Vista cannot run on NVIDIA2 chipset boards.
Not officially, but you CAN use the XP drivers under compatibility mode.
If I shift the FSB jumper back to 133MHz everything works fine.
This seems pretty straight forward. The most likely cause is hardware and the most likely issue with your hardware deals with instability. Components will typically run more stable at slower speeds. What components does the FSB affect? Depends on your board, but memory is the first place to look. I know you say it is the right type and you're sure it works (maybe it is new?), but sometimes memory is incompatible even though it meets the required MHz and latency specs.

If you have other memory you can use, please try it and see if the problem goes away. You can also try your memory modules individually to rule out one of them being bad, although if they are both incompatible, you will have the same issue with each of them.

Try running http://www.memtest.org to verify that your memory is good. Problems usually show up in the first several minutes, but be prepared to let it run over and over again (maybe while you're sleeping or out...). And remember - just because your memory passes memtest doesn't mean it is 100% good, but it does suggest stability.

You may also consider increasing CAS/RAS latency (if your board allows the option in the BIOS). It might be set to 2.0 or 2.5, but you might want to try 3.0ns latency, but generally speaking, SPD does a good job of automatically determining the best speed for your memory. If setting it to 3.0 fixes your issue, then you might just be covering up the real issue.

As a side note, your board is SUPPOSED to be compatible with an Athlon 3000+ / 166MHZ FSB. So, it sounds like your setup is proper.

There's other things too, but we'll get there later on.

Wow, thanks guys for so much help.

Tedster,

I'm not hugely good with computers, but NVIDIA2 refers to the graphics chipset doesn't it? I've not really had too many problems with that, certainly everything works fine as a whole when I knock the FSB jumper down to 133MHz.

Supersmashbrada,

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the BIOS/Motherboard jumpers to see what I can do with voltages, sounds a bit above my ability, but I think I'll try it after Rick's memory suggestions.

Daveskater,

Thanks for the Techspot advice, sorry for the double post(?), I think it happened when I was asked to confirm?!?

kpo6969,

I updated my BIOS from the Jetway site (I was unsure of the Motherboard manufacturer so I just searched for V400DBL). I used their latest one which gave me SPD for my memory (and little other change), but I think I might just download the Machspeed one and flash that one in. Thanks for the link :).

Rick,

Thanks for the memory suggestion, when I couldn't get my clock speed right in the first place (and even the BIOS wouldn't boot) I messed around with memory to no avail, but I haven't tried it since getting the BIOS to properly recognise the processor and the Vista issue. Now you mention it, two of the three memory modules are old (2x256MB DIMMs), so I think I'll start with those. If that doesn't work, although the BIOS upgrade gave me SPD I'll try overriding it with your CAS/RAS latency suggestions. Again thanks.

I'm not in tonight, so I won't be able to try out everyone's advice until Friday, but thank you very much and I'll get back to you all then.

Cheers,

Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back