• Unix

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Macintosh*ahem*

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Which would you prefer, the closed architecture of the *ahem* Mac OS or the open architecture of the Windows OS?

For those of you who dont know about architecture, the closed OS of the *ahem* Macintoshes allow for more stability, but are very restricting on software development, and the open architecture of Windows is a little less stable (Anyone heard of the BSOD on *ahem* Macs?) but is alot more software developer friendly. An indication of this is the wealth of Windows based software and the meager supply (although satisfactory) amount of software for the *ahem* Macs.

Or are there penguins (Linux) cruising this site?

Back in the day 1998 and before I used Macintoshes exclusively. Didn't know how anyone could use the "windows" platform that sometimes looked like a Mac but you still had many things that relied on c:\_. Now though I haven't used a Mac since then, not really by choice, kind of by this is all anyone knew when I came to college. Now I will admit I feel the post 95 window's OSes are superior to MacOS 8.0 and below. I can't judge on the later MacOSes though because I have never used them. Only seen what they look like and some cool features that Mr. Jobs reveals in a Keynote address which I watch on the 300k Quicktime stream.
If anyone would like to donate a Macintosh computer to me that can run MacOS X I'd appriciate it and then make a final judgement for this post :)

I really, really, really don't like the Mac OS (Up until 9, never used X). I gave it a serious chance and perhaps this is my years of experience as an exclusive Windows user, but I simply don't like it.

Yea, I've had a very bad experience with Mac OS's too. Up until about 2 years ago I had to suffer with the inhumane torture of a 233 MHz Mac running off 8.5 :dead: My experience with computers was scarred. It was sooo buggy...and slow...

(Anyone heard of the BSOD on *ahem* Macs?)

Vehementi, sounds like you have a cold or something? maybe try some cough syrup... ;)

i personally prefer stablility, like any user would, but with the little mac experience i have, i felt like i was a fenced in toddler. you can only do so much until you are blocked off. not very cool in my opinion. not to say that windows is any better though! :p

-justin

I can't believe you guys dislike the Mac so much. Mac OS X Server is now my second favorite OS (surpassing RH7.2 - I know Phantasm is gonna rip me for that one) and only bested by Win2K Server. OS X.1.2 Server is great! None of those restrictions posted here, plenty of stability, and pretty damn fast too! Only thing I still hate about Macs is that they still only come with a one button mouse even though the OS inherently supports better and the stupid Mac connectors for their monitors.

Oh yeah, there are barely any games for it either...:mad:

LNCPapa

Originally posted by LNCPapa
Only thing I still hate about Macs is that they still only come with a one button mouse even though the OS inherently supports better and the stupid Mac connectors for their monitors.

Oh yeah, there are barely any games for it either...:mad:

LNCPapa

Considering you can run OsX, your Mac should have USB... So why don't you just buy a USB mouse with 2 or more buttons? AFAIK it works like a charm (as long as you set it up correctly)...

.02$

Originally posted by Vehementi
Which would you prefer, the closed architecture of the *ahem* Mac OS or the open architecture of the Windows OS?
If I had to choose from those two, I would choose MacOS.
Anyone heard of the BSOD on *ahem* Macs?
They're not BSODs but Bombs etc. And yes, even Macs do crash.
Or are there penguins (Linux) cruising this site?
There's a small penguin inside me.. But normally I belong to even smaller minority, I use BeOS.

Yes MrGaribaldi, I do use other mice on my Macs, but my complaint is that Apple has the nerve to ship their macs with one button mice. It's no problem getting another mouse working on the mac though.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back