Windows will Load Only on Occasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlylamb

I recently upgraded my E-Machines, I upgraded the video card, PSU (Antec 600 Watt), CPU(AMD X2 3800+), RAM and Sound Card. My problem is that Windows will only load on occasion. I will get the BIOS screen, but windows will not load. I was told this could be the CPU, but I replaced it. I also put all the original parts in, still I have the same problem. I ran memtest and the test did not show any problems. I even pressed F8 to run windows in safe mode, I get the option to run it in safe mode, yet when I click safe mode it still does lot load. I even reset the bios with the jumper settings. When Windows does load, it works fine. I need some ideas here, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

System Specs.

E-Machines: T-6524
MoBo: MS-7184
Ram: 2 Gigs DDR 3200
CPU: AMD X2 3800+
PSU: Antec 600 Watt
GPU: Nvida 7800 512
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 24 Bit SE

I "feel" this might be a hard drive related error; not necessarily drive failure but a check is in order.
I would first backup your files if you have not already done so, then locate the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic software, copy it to a bootable floppy and run it. Any errors are bad news. If this produces nothing, I would then try running the windows repair tool by booting the windows install CD. When you have the command prompt run fixmbr.
If this fails to fix it, I would consider reinstalling windows from scratch.

Hi
I agree with AlbertLionheart, but it can also be a diver issue.. recently I was fixing a friends PC from similar issue... his webcam (labtec) asked to update drivers, cutting the story short, after the update there were two drivers for the webcam!!! removed both drivers and installed only one , problem solved...
make sure you dont have conflicting drivers..

cheers

I am going to do a fresh install of windows tonight. However what if the same problem occurs, what are some other solutions?

Depends where it stops. Providing you have a perfect install CD:
If the install fails during the initial part of the install process it is usually memory but can also be hard drive or motherboard.
If the install fails during the second part (where you have a window and a timer telling you how much time is left) it is probably a windows driver.
If it fails to reboot after installing a driver - it is the last driver you installed. BGO!

Thats bad luck - when you replace the PSU make sure you get a good one. Good money well spent on a decent PSU will reward you with a better system all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back