TechSpot

Windows will not load or hangs shortly after starting

By Shortrib71
Jul 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

first i want to say thanks for anything that is offered.

Alright when i boot my system, it will either not load windows or will hang just minutes after loading. The only time it will work without hanging is to boot into safe mode, and then it all seems to work good. I have done no updates to my computer. in the last 3 weeks, but system has only started acting up in the last 2 weeks. once system hangs, it will not boot into windows again without me forcing boot into safe mode. other wise, it will continuously reboot as it hangs during the loading, then reinitializes,al the way back to the POST. one other thing that may help with any comments, is the fact that when i click start - shutdown it takes 1-2 minute for the shutdown dialog box to pop up.

again, thanks for the help
  2. rush_mee

rush_mee TS Rookie

Plz try running a spyware scan;try a last known good config,try a repair if u wish,,with the os cd.
  3. Shortrib71

Shortrib71 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ran both spybot and ad-aware

I ran both ad-aware and spybot no problems found and ran a repair, it still keeps cycling through windows initializing and then back to the POST, occasionally it will load all the way and then the system will hang after a couple of minutes. same as before. i am wits end and am afraid i might have to do a complete reinstall
  4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Try a chkdsk. IN the meantime, I'll think some more about this but it sounds recoverable.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.