Windows won't boot - bad_system_config_info BSOD

gescom

I'm on a fairly new custom built computer running Windows 7 64-bit that's been running smoothly for the past few weeks. Yesterday, I was browsing the web (Chrome) and listening to music (Winamp), nothing taxing or out of the ordinary, and I get a BSOD that flashes by faster than I can read it. Automatic restart was on, so the computer gets back to the Windows loading screen, then BSOD's with this "bad_system_config_info" error. Every time I reboot, I get this BSOD. I've not been able to get around this at all. I've tried booting in safe mode, repairing from the Windows install disc, starting from last know good configuration. The Windows startup repair attempts did report this error:

"Root cause found: Bugcheck 74. Parameters = 0x2, 0xfffff88002908b20, 0x2, 0xffffffffc000003a. Registry is corrupt."

Anyway, I've run Memtest, which after 24 hours reported no problems. I tested out the OS hard drive as an external drive on another computer and it reads without problems. I'm at the end of my troubleshooting rope now, since I can't even get into Windows. Is there any way to repair registry errors like this without just completely reinstalling Windows? Is it actually just a corrupt registry or could it be something more? Thanks for your help!

My system info: Intel i7 950, 12GB RAM, 128GB SSD, EVGA X58 SLI 3 motherboard.

This is from Microsoft concerning 0x74: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
This error occurs if the SYSTEM hive is corrupt.

This bug check can also occur if some critical registry keys and values are missing. Thee keys and values might be missing if a user manually edited the registry.

Resolution
Try restarting the computer by selecting "last known good configuration" in the boot options.

If the restart does not fix the problem, the registry damage is too extensive. You must reinstall the OS or use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) that you previously created by using the Windows Backup tool.

An accidental breakthrough just occurred. I plugged my SSD back into the computer, but accidentally used a different SATA cable (which was plugged into another HDD that I have in the computer), and Windows starts up (albeit slowly). Interestingly, my desktop configuration is all reset, but it looks as though my programs and such are still in place.

My motherboard has two SATA 6GB/s connections, one of which was connected to this SSD. I realized that the 6GB/s hookup wasn't the one that was plugged into the SSD, so I shutdown, plugged it into the 6GB/s connector, and bootup. This gives me a BSOD after the Windows loading screen as it did before! So apparently connecting my the SSD to the 6GB/s connection is part of the problem. This reminded me, the BSOD I originally got while using the computer was regarding "ataport.sys". Could this be related to drivers communicating with the SATA III connection that my SSD was connected to?

ataport.sys.mui file serves as Microsoft's implementation of the shared library function in the Microsoft Windows operating systems. ataport.sys.mui is designed to provide one or more particular functions and a program accesses the functions by creating a dynamic link to ataport.sys.mui. ataport.sys.mui can be used by several applications at the same time. ataport.sys.mui can be caused by missing registry files, invalid or damaged temp file and incorrect or damaged hardware driver.

Common ataport.sys.mui errors:

a.The application has failed to start because ataport.sys.mui was not found. Reinstalling this application may fix this problem.

b.ataport.sys.mui cannot be found.

c.Program File failed because ataport.sys.mui was not found.

Back