Windows XP connected on LAN but cannot load internet pages

I have just done a clean reinstall of my old windows xp machine.
I have turned off the firewall (but it keeps turning itself back on), I only have IE from the install. There is a LAN connection and with the firewall off there is an internet connection showing under the network settings.
The MSN home page opens, but any other page goes to a HTTPS site and IE keeps saying "The server cannot be found" and refuses to open any webpage. This appears to be something to do with the new Internet security set-ups. I am trying to download any windows updates and the MS Security Essentials. Also all google sites are inassessible.

Microsoft quit supporting XP years ago so I seriously doubt you'll be able to get ANY updates.
I too have an XP but refuse to let it be online. Good luck

Access to the Internet is NOT dependent upon MS or its service packs/updates.

It is dependent upon TCP connectivity and access to a DNS server.

See post#3 in this topic

Access to the Internet is NOT dependent upon MS or its service packs/updates.

It is dependent upon TCP connectivity and access to a DNS server.

See post#3 in this topic

I know this is old but.
Access to secure sites(https port 443) IS dependent on certificates. If MS do not support internet explorer, the website you are connecting to will see that your certificate is expired and you wont be able to communicate with it.

It's different from an http site. or pinging a domain.

I have xp sp3 with internet explorer 8 , that have no problems connecting to https sites.
I also have an xp SP2 IE 8, that cannot connect to the same site. Same connection. Both on virtual machines

Yes, port 443 uses certs and that is another level, but until you can ping by name, port 443 doesn't matter one bit. Can you PING news.google.com or www.kusc.org

I'm posting this from a netbook which originally ran W7 starter. I tried Windows upgrades but nothing seemed much good so I moved from W10 Pro to XP. With a netbook this was a great upgrade and I browse using Slimjet. It's hardly lightning internet surfing but it's fine. You just need to be aware that XP isn't secure and so you don't want it networked with your main PCs. That said it's likely to be safer than W7 computers which are going to be easy meat for sophisticated hackers. Also reinstalling XP on a computer that's running well is not going to be an easy or quick journey. It's really not a good idea.

An important tip is to realise that essential programs may no longer run on XP sp3 so you need to find the latest versions that will be compatible. That can mean going back a long way. Finding a download isn't always as easy as you'd think. It's tricky with AV and browsers but they are important. I have an ancient version of CCleaner on my XP netbook. Internet Explorer 8.0 doesn't work well when viewing the Techspot forum but no issues so far with Slimjet. Of course this will continue to get more difficult.

Last edited:
I've a heads up on this issue. Yes, I know XP isn't secure and I'm a user of Windows 10. However, I keep a desktop running XP SP3 ready to use and recently found myself unable to browse the internet. There was a problem with certificates for websites and effectively I couldn't surf. I found that while I'd installed legacy versions of browsers they had automatically updated to the latest versions which were not compatible with XP. Even worse when I tried to uninstall Opera I found that it wouldn't uninstall. I did manage to hack it out but it seems there is no way of preventing the browser from automatically looking for updates.
I have now got Firefox installed running 43.0.1 which is the final version compatible with XP and it is working well. I hope that I can keep that version from updating. Articles about suitable browsers aren't reliable any more. I found U R Browser as being strongly recommended for XP but when you try to install it it says that it's not compatible.

Express vpn is a subscription service so use their support and Help pages. You get the necessary information when you sign up. This was not the right place to post about a vpn.

I just signed, please guide me now
If you paid them your money, they will email you a temporary password. Check your spam folder if it's not in the primary.

Since this thread is about XP, I'm obligated to inform you ExpressVPN won't work with XP..

If you still can't get this wording, I suggest starting you own thread in "Internet".

Back