Windows XP Crash after upgrade to Linksys WRT300N v1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Driver_IRQL_less_or_equal COMPUTER CRASH! on one of my laptops after the upgrade of router to WRT300N. When the router is turned off - no problems, when it is on - crash happens after a couple of minutes, even if I don't access any Web sites. Two other computers work fine with this router. Any advice?

Does the BSOD mention a specific component causing the crash ? How is the laptop connecting to the router: 802.11G or 802.11N ? WEP ? WPA ?

Didou said:
Does the BSOD mention a specific component causing the crash ? How is the laptop connecting to the router: 802.11G or 802.11N ? WEP ? WPA ?
This is a wireless connection from Toshiba laptop. Not sure what the card is and whether 802.11G or N is used but when I disabled wireless connection (there is switch on the front of the laptop) and used cable instead no problems were detected. So I think that there must be some incompatibility between the card and router. Thinking about getting a new wireless card.
Other than the driver message error on the blue screen I get NDIS.SYS identified. Is that what you ask about?

first of all I think this has nothing to do with the router.
I had similar problems with a pcmcia wireless card which caused a conflict with the video card. the bsod was also about the ndis.sys. what helped was updating the drivers for both components, well with the update for the video card the problem was gone. so I recommend you to update every driver you can (chipset, network adapters, video, audio, ect....)

Thanks mscrx. The reason I suspected router was that that's when the problem started on this 4 year old Toshiba laptop - it worked fine with the old router. There a couple of people in the house using it but trying to reverse the system to before the problem started gave me the message that nothing got installed. I just tried to update the card driver as you suggested but the search came up negative - is there a specific place I could go? Currently no problems with connectivity when network cable is used, wireless - dies every time. Is there a way to test the wireless card - other than what I'm doing now - basically turning it on and off. Please advise!

yes, the router is suspicious but for sure not a reason for a "bsod over air".
have you tried the vendor website of the wireless adapter? or the toshiba support pages?
I don't expect that to help but have a look here:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

maybe this tcp optimizer tool can "optimize" the adapter settings to not cause a bsod. its worth a try I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back