Windows Xp: Disk boot failure :Urgent Help Required

By Calexico
Nov 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Everyone

I am having a problem booting off my hard drive. During startup it goes through the whole process until this message appears.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When I insert the XP disc the system boots. However I do not want to have to keep inserting the system disc anytime I want to boot the system.

This is what I have done so far.

Wiped the drives
    Re-partitioned them
    Installed Xp

When I restart the machine it will not boot from the hard drive .

I have checked the following

The device is working properly
    In the BIOS it is the primary boot device.

I have no more ideas ...

Usefull Suggestions .... Anybody

Calexico
  2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Are you saving when exiting the bios,seems to be a common problem.
  3. Calexico

Calexico Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for responding

I have definitely saved when exiting the bios .... i thought this may have been the problem myself but no ..... any other ideas
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Do you have a floppy drive in your machine? and if so is there a floppy in it? you will also get that message if there is a floppy disk in the floppy drive during boot if it isnt a bootable floppy.
  5. Calexico

There is no floppy drive. I have re-prartioned themdisk and re - installed the OS. still no joy ...... really frustrating ....
  6. iss

how many drives do you have installed? what I would do is disconnect all but the one I want to install windows on. you can connect the others once you have windows installed.
  7. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Have you installed windows on the right partition on drive C.
  8. Calexico

yes. The OS is definitely on C:
  9. Calexico

I have two drives installed. Iam going to take the advice of ISS and physically remove one of the disks. After I have re-installed the OS I will re-install the extra hard drive. I will let you know how I get on.
  10. Calexico

Thanks

Problem solved. I removed both hard drives. I then re-installed only one. Re-partioned this drive and re-installed XP. I then restarted the computer and hey presto XP launched from the hard drive. After I was sure everything was working OK I then re-installed the second drive. So everything now works. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem.
  11. iss

Glad we could help. and Welcome to TechSpot!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.