TechSpot

Windows Xp: Disk boot failure :Urgent Help Required

By Calexico
Nov 25, 2005
  1. Hello Everyone

I am having a problem booting off my hard drive. During startup it goes through the whole process until this message appears.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When I insert the XP disc the system boots. However I do not want to have to keep inserting the system disc anytime I want to boot the system.

This is what I have done so far.

Wiped the drives
    Re-partitioned them
    Installed Xp

When I restart the machine it will not boot from the hard drive .

I have checked the following

The device is working properly
    In the BIOS it is the primary boot device.

I have no more ideas ...

Usefull Suggestions .... Anybody

Calexico

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Are you saving when exiting the bios,seems to be a common problem.

3. Calexico

Calexico TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for responding

I have definitely saved when exiting the bios .... i thought this may have been the problem myself but no ..... any other ideas

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

Do you have a floppy drive in your machine? and if so is there a floppy in it? you will also get that message if there is a floppy disk in the floppy drive during boot if it isnt a bootable floppy.

5. Calexico

There is no floppy drive. I have re-prartioned themdisk and re - installed the OS. still no joy ...... really frustrating ....

6. iss

how many drives do you have installed? what I would do is disconnect all but the one I want to install windows on. you can connect the others once you have windows installed.

7. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Have you installed windows on the right partition on drive C.

8. Calexico

yes. The OS is definitely on C:

9. Calexico

I have two drives installed. Iam going to take the advice of ISS and physically remove one of the disks. After I have re-installed the OS I will re-install the extra hard drive. I will let you know how I get on.

10. Calexico

Thanks

Problem solved. I removed both hard drives. I then re-installed only one. Re-partioned this drive and re-installed XP. I then restarted the computer and hey presto XP launched from the hard drive. After I was sure everything was working OK I then re-installed the second drive. So everything now works. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem.

11. iss

Glad we could help. and Welcome to TechSpot!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.