Windows xp doesnt seem to work with linksys wireless g pcmcia network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartera

i have a toshiba satellie pro laptop and i have installed a linksys wireless g network card in the laptops pcmcia slot, the internet works fine for about 5-10 minutes but then it cuts out and you cant get back onto the internet without restarting the computer, i have downloaded the latest drivers but i don't understand why it doesnt seem to work with windows. It works fine when wired to the internet, it just doesnt seem to work wirelessly! I cant seem to understand it anyone know what to do with this, spent 2 days messing with it and ive got nowhere so far! HELP!!!!!

Do you have your DHCP server turned on or do you have your internal IP address set to static?

cartera said:
i have a toshiba satellie pro laptop and i have installed a linksys wireless g network card in the laptops pcmcia slot, the internet works fine for about 5-10 minutes but then it cuts out and you cant get back onto the internet without restarting the computer, i have downloaded the latest drivers but i don't understand why it doesnt seem to work with windows. It works fine when wired to the internet, it just doesnt seem to work wirelessly! I cant seem to understand it anyone know what to do with this, spent 2 days messing with it and ive got nowhere so far! HELP!!!!!

Hi Cartera

OK
let's start at basics,

Do you use the WIndows Zero wireless useless Config thingy.... If so get shut of it, and use the NICS own software, lets face it, its built for the NIC so use it.

Second , check the PCMCIA slot is OK by putting the card in the other slot.

I have found a lot of problems using the WZWC when setting up the wireless Nic in my laptop originally(its a 3COM with a Belkin Router) and since I changed to the OEM software and changed the Channel to 9 its worked fine ever since.

Regards

Jimbo420 said:
Sorry I was off for a while bit that was bascially what I was going to suggest.

Sorry Jimbo420, I was just passing by and saw the thread, Couldnt resist sticking in me 5p worth...:eek:

Regards

Not a problem. The way I see it we are all a team here helping each other out. Sometimes it is good to work in numbers ;)

nope that hasnt worked either, it still drops off after about 5 minutes the other weird thing is that email based programs such as msn still work when you cant view internet pages and on micorsoft outlook you can view your email and send emails but you cant use the internet!!! It doesnt make any sense!

The only time I have seen a problem like that I was using a computer at a company I worked for that was using a proxy server and the computer wasn't set to use the proxy correctly. Other then that I don't have any clue as what would cause something like that.

cartera said:
nope that hasnt worked either, it still drops off after about 5 minutes the other weird thing is that email based programs such as msn still work when you cant view internet pages and on micorsoft outlook you can view your email and send emails but you cant use the internet!!! It doesnt make any sense!

Hi

Welcome to the world of faulty DNS servers, We have this a lot on the NTL network, the web doesn't work but the kids have no problem with MSN or mail, you see they dont use a DNS server they link directly to the server.

From what i can diagnose it's because we use a Transparent Cache thingy, if I change this in my internet properties, I can sometimes get round the problem, however it doesn't always work, yet If I ping the DNS servers they respond with no problem.

NTL have in the past done a lot of work and the problem is lessening of, slowly but surely, however even last night was a slow night for web browsing in general and I have a 4meg connection, yet I was hitting 300k download using a torrent file.

Thing is your wired works OK, so it may be an issue with the Wireless side not transcribing the DNS servers correctly, Is it possible to swap the WIFI router out with another to check.

Regards

It is doing it with a LAN card aswell as a wifi card though, it seems odd lol doesnt make sense!

cartera said:
It is doing it with a LAN card aswell as a wifi card though, it seems odd lol doesnt make sense!

If its doing it with the Wired network, then I would most definately say its a DNS server issue, this can only be taken up with the ISP that supplies you.

Regards

Thanks for the help guys that hasnt worked, it looks like the problem is that windows doesnt work with the software for the card and im going to upload a new version of windows onto it to see if that works. Cheers

Alastair

I had the same problem before. make sure load went through correctly. Check your device manager and make sure your driver is there and the linksys adapter shows up. I was told by a linksys helpdesk tech not to use the software provided by linksys, why he would say that is beyond me. But I let windows control the card and I have no problems.

also temporarily disable your firewall and check a safe website to see if you have the same problems.

What firewall are you using. Linksys told me that ZA firewall doesn't like the linksys router. I was unable to view my router settings online because of the firewall. I had to disable it just to be able to view it.

i have it working fine now the problem was that the proxy settings were set rather oddly and wouldnt let windows communicate with the internet. Thanks for everyones help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back