Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clp86rom

Hi,

I have this computer that has windows xp home edition on it and i installed the windows service pack 2 update which went okay but after installing it my cd and dvd drives disappeared from my computer. Under device manager… the computer sees the two drivers there but they have a question mark or exclamation mark I forgot which right now. What do I need to fix this situation. Can anyone please let me out. I need this fixed fast.

in device manager go to "IDE ATA\ATAPI controllers" uninstall the primary and secondary IDE channels and reboot. Windows will automatically reinstall them on boot up and this should fix your problem.

you could try physically uninstalling the drives. unplug the computer and hold down the power button to get rid if any residual power in the system. then unplug the power and the IDE connection cables from both drives then boot up. then shut down and follow a reverse process to hook the drives back up. then power up and see if windows recognizes and installs the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back