Windows XP Home Networking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nico1606

So I have 2 computers connected via peer to peer networking through Windows XP. Everything is fine, both computers can use each other's resources. The one problem is the one computer that shares the printer (call this computer A) always asks computer B for a password whenever you want to access any of its resources.

I've never set any password for file or printer sharing...and for computer B to allow access I have to type the Admin name and PW of computer A. Now this is only for Computer A.... Computer B never asks for a PW...I figured a way around this by checking the "Remember Password" check box...but now I'm just interested in why it asks for a PW in the first place....

Any ideas?

If you set a file/folder to be accessible to users of your computer only, it may prompt for a password.

Another option is that once upon a time you set a password on a directory, and now windows is holding onto that as a default (windows is known for going stupid like that.)

Can you be a bit more descriptive about what your peer to peer networking setup is (protocols and so forth)? It might help us diagnose your problem further.

Just using a basic peer to peer with file sharing capabilities and TCP/IP protocol. Not much else to say really.

ok... let's try it this way:

Is netbios via tcp/ip enabled?
What workgroups are the machines in?
What file systems are the machines using?
How many profiles are set up on each respective machine, and from which account to which account are you trying to access? Have you ensured to have a same-named account on the other machine with appropriate permissions?
Have you tried enabling ipx/spx w/ netbios?
Have you unshared, and then reshared, the files in question?
Are you accessing the files from "My Network Places" or by browsing the entire network and narrowing the scope?

Please let us know the answers to these questions so we can help you further.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change the users allowed to look at the printer, and make it say EVERYONE

In reply to Goalie's questions:

1. Yes Netbios is Enabled
2. 2 Workgroups (1 for each computer)
3. Using a Fat32 File System

4. My machine is using 1 account and the other machine is using 3 accounts. Any of those 3 accounts needs to put in my name and password (from the 1st machine) in order to access files and/or the printer connected to that machine. I usually access the files by using My Network Places. I don't see why I should access IPX/SPX not sure what that would accomplish.

To poertner: The printer is already set to everyone.

I dont know if this would work, but try promoting the users who are being asked for the password to Power Users, Or even administrators. Seems to be some kinda of permissions issue. please let us know what are the certain settings are from each user.

As far as I know everyone is an admin user (not the smartest thing in the world to do but I figured it would keep problems like this out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back