TechSpot

Windows XP Home on Inspiron 8600 "hangs" on startup

By bitmand
Sep 2, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I am having some trouble with my old Dell Inspiron 8600.

I reinstalled Windows XP Home with the original Dell disk without any problems. I then installed drivers for de devices that isn't supported by XP (Graphics card, Wireless network card etc.). The drivers I got from Dells support site.

I also installede 2-3 common programs (Ultra Edit, Open Office ie.) and everything seemed to work fine.

But now, a couple of days later, Windows hangs at startup. By hangs I don't mean it freezes - it is displaying the Windows XP logo and the progress bar is moving.. and moving.. and moving.. :)
    You get the picture, it just stays like that forever - no error message, no failures, no nothing - just the logo and progress bar.

I can get into windows if I boot in safe mode - and even in Safe Mode with networking - and it "works" fine, but I can't find any error messages anywhere.

I was told there was a ntbtlog.txt log file in c:/windows I should take a look at - but that seems to be reset every time windows boots, so by the time I get into safe mode the info from the last boot is long gone :(

Do you guys have any idea where to look? It's kinda hard to debug without any error messages at all :)

Best regards, Lasse
  2. bitmand

bitmand TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, and by the way, in the process of installing I also made sure that servicepack 2 and various updates was installed - so the computer should by up to date with the latest fixes.
  3. bitmand

bitmand TS Rookie Topic Starter

Update

Just wanted to update the thread - I "kinda" solved the problem.
    Well, I don't really solved it, but I know how to avoid it in the future :)

I seems that I have shut down the computer with my external USB drive (Thermaltake case with a 2.5" disk in it) attached - then, when I tried booting windows, the drive was not attached - and therefor it hangs on startup.

If I simply plugin the external USB drive, Windows starts just perfectly.

Furthermore, if I detach the drive when in windows and then shutdown the computer - it starts perfectly. And I can reproduce the error.

I now know how to avoid it and that is fine by me. But if anyone know how to fix this, I will appreciate the info :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.