TechSpot

Windows Xp Home question\help

By Gourry25
Nov 24, 2006
  1. Hey I need some serious help. here is my situation. Atm on my Pc is a copy of Win Xp Home edition 2002 then i downloaded and installed SP2 when that came out. well I am atm missing files and the cd I cannot use for 2 reasons now. first off no sp2 to can't repair\overwtire the Os like i did when i had 98 and 2nd and most inportantly this copy is relaly my brothers copy, thereofre i must delte this OS and get my own. but Atm I cannot afford $200 for Win Xp Home with service pack 2 which is what i want and need. Microsoft does know all this info and understood because my brother claimed to have lost the cd, but when i told him he could get a upgraded cd replacement for $28 that would work he told me some info he failed to mention to me over 4 years ago(like he had found the cd 1 year ago):/. So Microsoft said don't worry no one will get introuble, all I need to do is get my own OS and things will be fine.

Well I was looking at Newegg.com and saw this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116169

I need to know the following:

1: Is this a full version or an upgrade?
    2: will it come with its own cd key?
    3: Can it be installed freshly(i will have to do that no matter what OS i get)
    4: I want to mention I do not mind downloaded updates if this fixes the problem.

Additional info: Reason why i called up Microsoft in the first aplce was because I was missing files. and sees a lot more than just the USB files that should be in the C:\Windows\INF dir

So pelse I need all the info I can get on what to do and stuff.

2. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 757

I am assuming thats only an upgrade. I have never seen a full installation disk for only $89.

You will need a previos OS to install an upgrade.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.