TechSpot

Windows XP Install - Not finding any devices!

By mobkon
Dec 8, 2004
  1. I had to do a fresh install of Win XP due to HAL.DLL error and my windows directory getting completly lost somehow. Im thinking it was a virus. Anyway, I did a fresh install and I cant seem to get my computer to read any drive but my main C drive. Theres 2 other drives connected. I beleive the two main drives are a RAID configuration and theres a third drive connected as a slave to the DVD-R. None of the drives show but the main drive. Any ideas?

Device Manager shows the following with a big yellow question mark next to it:

Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    PCI Input Device
    RAID Controller
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

So theres my problem. Would the motherboard software have the drivers for all/most of these? Problem is I dont think I have that software anymore. Is there a program I can use to look up the brand/model of my mobo so i can get the drivers off the site? I know its an ASUS board, just dont know the model. Thanks!

2. redeyemindtrick

redeyemindtrick TS Rookie

Yes, you HAVE to install the mother board drivers for ALL of the devices, thats why MBs come with a disk

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Program to find out name of motherboard?

Motherboard drivers usually contain only drivers for onboard devices, if you have PCI cards, you'll have to search from their makers' sites or use TechSpot's own driver database.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.