Windows XP Internet Connection Problems

By chimp
Feb 26, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all, haven't posted here in forever. :monkey:

I installed vista for the third time, realized once again that i hated it, and now have reinstalled windows XP. The thing is, for some reason I cant connect to the internet.

Heres two screen shots of my connection:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mobo is the p5n32e-sli, perhaps it could be a driver related problem? My house has a LAN set up, my pc not being the host. My pc shows no response when i unplug or plug my internet cable back in...maybe the cord could have been damaged some how?

Appreciate the help, chimp:approve:
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,024   +220

1. verify there's no problems with the driver.
      use the device manager->Network Adapters and expand the [+].
      there should be no red or yellow marks on the devices
    2. please describe ALL hardware from the modem to your pc (include device-make-model)
    3. post the results from run->cmd /k ipconfig /all
  3. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

1394 connection is not your LAN connection. From my understanding its like a firewire connection for network sharing.

You need to make a new connection

This isn't really my area. joebeard will know

Edit:I didn't realize that you had already responded joe
  4. chimp

chimp Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks guys, heres my pc, modem and router info:

PC:

Mobo: Asus P5N32-E SLI
    CPU: Intel E6320 core 2 duo
    RAM: 2G DDR2 pc-6400 rev2
    HD: 320G SII
    GFX: 8800 GTS 512mb oc
    PS: ocz 700 watts

Modem:

Speadstream 5200

Router:

Motorola, model WR850G

It seems there aren't any problems with the driver according to the device manager, and when i did the "run->cmd /k ipconfig /all", it just stated Windows IP Configuration, with nothing else in the cmd box.

Thanks again for all the help here guys :)
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,024   +220

that's what I thought. your adapter is not running and is not getting ANY information
    from the router to configure the TCP.

That router is wireless. you need to configure the router using a WIRED connection.
    Once that is done, you use the Network Wireless Wizard to access the router.
  6. chimp

chimp Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the help again, though i have still not solved this problem. I'm aware the router is wireless, but i wish to set up a wired connection with it because my bathroom wall's piping blocks the signal. How would i go about configuring the router with a wired connection? I've tried setting it up by following various user guides but they deal mostly with wireless connections. I've had a wired connection with this system going for a long time, so i know its possible.

In my device manager i have a list of unknown devices, and im nearly certain the P5N32-E sli has a built in network card.

I appreciate the help guys :)

EDIT: I also have 2 "Other PCI Bridge Device" in my device manager, and it claims the drivers arent installed. Are these most likely motherboard specific drivers? I can't find much good from Asus.com
  7. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Probably need to install the ethernet drivers. This download should do it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.