TechSpot

Windows XP is a popular home for rootkits

By Shawn Knight
Aug 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Free antivirus software provider Avast has released information from a six-month study which reveals that Microsoft’s Windows XP operating system is home to 74% of their customers’ rootkit infections.

Read the whole story

2. yowanvista

yowanvista TS Rookie Posts: 82

XP=Noob OS

3. LOL.. XP = 10 years of a PC enthusiast OS.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,813   +921

Either the people that post to this forum can't understand the symbols on their keyboards, and how to form sentences that make some semblance of sense with them, or they are so wrapped up in themselves that they are under impression that nobody else understands the symbols either.

So, that said, both Vista and Windows 7 are newer than XP. If these are the OSes you're using, then you must be the "noob". The people that still have functioning XP based system, have been here a lot longer than you. I have 5 minutes to spare, please tell me everything else you know.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

?One issue with Windows XP is the high number of pirated versions, especially as users are often unable to properly update them because the software can?t be validated by the Microsoft update?

I think that is a big cause for this. Patching pirated OSs is a bit of a pain in the butt. And if you're pirating your AV software too, and you're getting all your updates and patches for both OS and AV through pirate sites, you are probably more likely to get an infection than prevent one.

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

or maybe he is just "trolling" Captain!

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

I've never seemed to have a problem... "seemed" being keyword here. haha

8. captaincranky

Well, you can't say that, because then he'd call you a troll for calling him on it.

"Are you trolling"? "No, you are"! See how that works. After the second round of replies they start claiming you don't have a life. Then you have to try and reason with them, "if I have no life, then why is an a**hole like you wasting yours trying to argue with me"?

Perhaps, I should just say something like, "wow, you sure are smart, you must have logged in with IE6", then link them to the IQ article.

9. Apparently they aren't pirating their XP correctly. Never seem to have trouble with updates and a pirated XP Pro :p.

10. captaincranky

How special is that?

11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I haven't used pirated XP for quite a few years now, but IIRC when MS did a WGA update, sometimes it was a pain to use the Windows Update site until they cracked the WGA again.

12. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Of course it is... it was the most used OS at the time, it still is mostly isn't it?

13. jerrypalmer

jerrypalmer TS Rookie

Can we stop windows from housing rootkits?

14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

Dang xp is 10 years old, my how time flies. Its still a pretty solid OS. It beat the hell out of windows 98. Its still pretty useful if you don't want your computer bugged down by vista and window 7's resource hogging.

15. captaincranky

Probably, but then it would just be Windows 7 anyway.

16. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

Can we stop stupid users from buying/or having a computer?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.