Windows XP Keeps Reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a cousin using Windows XP on her computer and whenever her computer loads up to the menu, it immediately begins to reload again and again. The computer was given to her in 2005 as an Xmas present and it's quite an out dated computer. I know I'm lacking more significant imformation as I will get the rest from her in a bit but does anyone know the possible diagnosis for why the computer may be acting up like this?

depending on were it restarts depends on the problem. I know you said about getting more info but can you give something more specific than the menu? a picture of a similar looking thing or a description will help heaps

How much do you want to bet it's hard drive corruption? It's a very common problem on older computers. Boot into the Recovery console and do a chkdsk c: /r

If that fails, you might wish to take a look at your system memory or CPU. It could also be blown caps. Check the motherboard for bulging or blown caps (there will be brown crusties on the top of the cap).

Surely it would scream at you if it was harddrive related...well maybe not scream but insesantly beep and show some form or error

I can see what you mean but im not sure :confused:

Is this a desktop or a laptop btw?

No, hard drive corruption just results in constant reboots, horribly slow performance or error messages such as "c:\windows\system32\config" errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back