TechSpot

Windows XP key

By kircal
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

i have just had to install a new hard drive on my Dell laptop, there is a sticker on the bottom of my laptop with my product key on that came with the laptop when i origionally bought the laptop. When i now try and input the product key from the sticker it says product key invalid.

Is there a way of using my old key or do i need to buy another?

Thanks

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

I had this problem a few weeks ago with a laptop I was fixing for someone. The sticker on the bottom was worn so that I couldn't accurately read the key anymore. You can use this http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    to recover the key from the registry of the old xp install if the harddrive still operates.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

If you are a registered owner, Dell tech support will help you, as well.

Or if it is a Windows XP machine and you are using a Dell install disk, send a brief, one line message with your computer model number from the bottom sticker that is in black and white, service tag, and Installed Service Pack number 2, or 3, to RepairClinic@gmail.com. Note whether it is Home or Professional, and any other readable information on the label.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.