Windows XP Media Center Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I'm posting this in the correct place. If not, I so sorry! :blush:

I only know the basic as far as computers go, so I'll start at the begining.

due to a power outage my computer will not start any more! I keep getting this message:

[CENTER] ---------------------------[/CENTER]
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \Windows\Systme32\Config\System

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original CD-ROM.
[CENTER]----------------------------[/CENTER]

The problem is that I bought this computer from a friend of a friend (yeah my bad!) and I do not have an original CD-ROM, I don't have a start-up CD at all!!

Is there anything I can do to fix this without a CD?

to all you experts out there please HELP ME!!!!!!:angel:

You have two main options -

1.Place the Hard drive in another computer as 'Slave',and repair the system 'by hand'.

2.Use a Linux live CD (eg Knoppix) or Bart`s PE to do the same thing.

For both, see 4 & 5 HERE

Please note : That all may seem complicated,but if you take one thing at a time,you should be Ok.

There are probably better written guides on the internet,if you want to search on that error.

BlameCanada, thank you so much for you prompt response.

and I will certainly check out 4 & 5 as you stated. I do have one more question. If I put my hard drive in another computer does it have to be a Dell?

Thanks for all your help.

No need to panic! All you need to do is run an XP repair installation.

Just borrow an XP installation CD from someone or get a loaner from the local computer store. Boot to the CD. Once it finishes loading, it will ask if you want to install or repair using Recovery Console. This is NOT the repair otion you want so select "Enter". The next menu should then ask if you want to repair or install a fresh copy. This is the repair option you want. Press 'R' and it will start. Now, if the XP installation CD can't find your current installation, it will not offer the repair installation.

Good luck!

almcneil thank you all for all your responses!

believe it or not, but I have no one to barrow a CD from, the few people I do know did'nt want to lend their thinking I was going to break it or something!
go figure! but I will try your suggestiongs.

Thanks to all.

It's not illegal to loan/use another XP installation CD so long as you have your own XP license Product Key. When you purchase a computer with a copy of Windows XP, there is a Product Key sticker attached to the chassis of the computer. That means you have purchased a licensed copy. If you ever need to repair or re-install Windows on that computer, you're entitled to, even if you use another CD. You will be prompted immediately for the Product Key (both re-install and repair).

You're not doing anything illegal!!

Ok I am back, I finally managed to borrow CD 1 & CD 2 for Windows XP Medica Center Edition. It belongs to an HP Computer but my Dell comupter will not read them. The 2 CD's were burned into 2 DVD's and my Dell cumputer does have a DVD-RW as well as a CD-RW however neither one will read these 2 CD's. I do know that both CD/DVD-RW are working, because I have placed in into another Dell computer and they work find. I just can't get these 2CD's to run in my cumputer. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
tired & exhausted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back