Windows XP Pro VS. Windows 2003 Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link2009

I just wanted to do a test on this. I installed both XP + Windows2k3 (Which I bought :D) and I tested their capibilities and mostly performance. I've noticed the Windows2k3 is a hella lot faster than XP which is wierd because it runs a lot more services than XP and I was just wondering what you guys though :D

I put W2003 server onto one of my machines and did the "turn 2003s into
a workstation" guide... it is faster imho not to mention the faster / better
web speed. Go to any of the "better" web speed / through put/ bandwidth
measuring sites and you'll get another shock.

Mudshark said:
I put W2003 server onto one of my machines and did the "turn 2003s into
a workstation" guide... it is faster imho not to mention the faster / better
web speed. Go to any of the "better" web speed / through put/ bandwidth
measuring sites and you'll get another shock.
Where can I find the "turn 2003s into a workstation" guide. I have been agonizing over a dual boot to 2003s and XP pro becuase some software I have won't run on a server- I tried turning off various services but never thought there was a guide on how to do this. Thanks in advance, M

2k3 was designed to have a faster tcp stack than xp, 2k, and the rest. It's meant to compete with Linux and FreeBSD so it needed some obvious selling point. It also has per processor runqueues if you run it on a smp sys.

Look here for the conversion:

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

Be aware that if you run the firewall on 2k3 (wich I recommend) you will have to tell it what apps to let through via the applet to edit firewall rules.
Otherwise you may not be able to get on the net without lowering the permissions built in as default.

mikem1955 said:
Where can I find the "turn 2003s into a workstation" guide. I have been agonizing over a dual boot to 2003s and XP pro becuase some software I have won't run on a server- I tried turning off various services but never thought there was a guide on how to do this. Thanks in advance, M

Sorry Mikem, I never saw your post.... :eek:
Thanks for fielding it Blakhart, thats the same place I got the guide from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back