Windows Xp start menu Icons disappearing, and file extensions not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have been getting this error for a while now. Sometimes during a game the screen blanks out and takes me back to desktop but the start button has not words or picture on it and when i click on the button the menu pops up and no icons are in there either. I try to click on the place the icon is supposed to be and it says file not found may have been move would you like to delete. I try to access my computer and it says location not found. It doesn't just happen after games, a few times i went to windows update to check for updates and when I finished the same thing occurs. I have been talking to Microsoft support but they have no ideas. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas. Some people I have talked to said it sounds like Windows resource management problems, but i have installed windows fresh twice now in the last 3 weeks and nothing has helped. Could this be a hard drive issue?

Sounds pretty weird..I don't know, personally - does anyone else have any ideas or ever seen this before?

Does anyone think maybe the hard drive is not formatting completely in the installation routine for XP?

This is a really weird problem and I wish someone here would suggest some possible answers to his problem.

Are you overclocking anything?

Many games are quite CPU & GPU intensive, so it could be possible that the increased heat from them is causing some errors.

If your graphics card requires power from PSU and it is connected to the same wire as your hard disk drive, I'd suggest changing that.

Or maybe you're driving the power supply unit to the edge, and that causes I/O errors with the hard disk drive. You could check with a voltage monitor application.

Also, it could help if you filled your user profile, to give some details about your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back