windows xp startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
im running windows xp home edition and i was in a position where i had to restart my computer (and by the way i'm not good with machines...) so i did it 'properly'. start-restart.

so when i tried to start it, i got a black screen with this:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

and no i CAN'T get into thesafe mode.

since i'm not a techhead, i tried to do the system recovery thing so i pressed f10 when i restarted it again (and yeah that message up there keeps showing up) it stopped working and made me restart my computer again

and ironically i do not have my windows xp home edition operating system disk. never had it.

i'm a little desperate here :( help please?

f10 no effect

From your post, it appears that f10 did not launch the system recovery. For the moment, let's assume the key press was too late. Going down this path restores the computer to 'factory fresh' and you lose all the data and applications that you have added.

If you have not selected <last known good configuration>, give it a try. If this works, it would be my first guess that new hardware was added or drivers were updated.

If there is no change in the symptom, then read the following thread in these forums ('Guides & solved issues') : https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8356&highlight=boot .

The condensed version of 17 pages - trial & error to isolate the problem. Your hard drive appears to be usable, but it could have errors or some blocks are bad. Run 'chkdsk /f' followed by 'chkdsk /r' on the main drive from the Recovery Console (if offered in boot menu) or move this drive to another computer (as slave or external drive). Memory is also high on the usual suspects list. If you have 2 memory modules, run on one, then the other. Other suggestions would have you unplug non-essential devices such as additional hard drives. If main drive is dead and boot detects an OS on the slave, it could give these symptoms.

Other posts here get into the use of recovery tools appropriate to the direction symptoms are revealing. The uppermost banner at this site titled 'downloads' offers catagories for much of what is discussed.

memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/
Bart PE (restore registry / hives) : http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ (it will point to the load site).

This overload of information is intended to fill time gaps in the exchanges of posts in this thread.

Do a "chkdsk /p" to solve your problem

1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP compact disc (The CD). Follow the a. b. c. d. steps to install Recovery Console:

a. Insert the Windows XP CD in your CD drive and restart your computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

b. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; you need to choose the repair or recover option by pressing R .

c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.

d. When your prompted, type the Administrator password.

2. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /p , and then press ENTER.

Then you should be able to boot in safe mode. Once in safe mode, just restart Windows XP and everything should be back to normal.

Email me if you have any problems. maki808@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back