TechSpot

Windows XP startup problems after repair

By Kevin16
Feb 21, 2005
  1. Hey guys,

When I was trying to change my default XP boot screen, I replaced my original ntoskrnl.exe with the downloaded one. After that, I rebooted and my computer reported that "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt." So I used the repair option on my XP CD to try to replace the file. After the repair, I got the BSOD when trying to boot up. It stated that I should remove any new hard drives or hard drive controllers, but I didn't just install any new HDs. In fact, I had Win2000 on another partition that still works perfectly fine.

So my problem is, I need to get some important files from XP, but I set my admin account folder to private, so I can't access it from Win2000. I know I can take ownership of the folder from another XP account, but can I do it from Win2000?

If anyone can help me get my files, that would be great. If anyone can help me recover Windows, that would be even better.

BTW: CHKDSK /R, FIXMBR, and FIXBOOT didn't help

Thanks

2. Kevin16

Kevin16 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 173

Well, I didn't find out what was wrong with XP, but I managed to get my files and documents back from my private folder.

I was able to take ownership of the folder in Win2000 and I re-installed XP.

Had I read Rick's thread on how to take ownership from another WinXP/Win2000 install before, I would've saved myself a lot of time.

Nice work Rick :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.