WinXP SATA driver noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am installing a SATA HDD with a new installation of winXP and having the (as far as I have read) typical driver issues. I have a Floppy drive that I can use to install the SATA driver but I can't seem to find what I need. I have the CD from the Mobo but it is all done with an exe file. I can't find anywhere on the disk a "driver" as far as I can tell. Can someone list what exactly to put on the floppy so I can find it on the CD or on the internet to download? I am using a maxtor 500Gb SATA HDD and a gigabyte GA-945GCXMX-S2 mobo.

Thanks
Max

Unless I'm not mistaken, you don't need to have the F6 SATA driver. Only it will occurs when you need to run it off on RAID. It should be working properly by itself.

Unfortunately it isn't working. From what I have read some will and some won't work by itself. I have even tried to slipstream the drivers into the windows xp install but my CDRW is toast on the laptop so I hve no way of making a replacement cd to boot from. I did read where someone tried to disconnect the floppy drive and use a usb pin drive instead and let it use that to boot from. I'll try it and see if it works but I think it would be easier if I could just make the floppy and be done with it. I just dont know exactly what files I need on the floppy and how or where to get them.

Max

There is a cheap IDE interface that allows you to connect either HD or CDROM that you can try it.

You can try to slipstream from there.

No windows is not installed yet. I did manage to find a list of files to put on the floppy but when I go to instll windows I do the F6 thing and it does not find the txtsetup.oem file. I even tried it with another txtsetup file and no luck. I have the windows cd transfered to my hard drive on another computer and I used an automated slipstream program but I can't get the info burned back onto another cd so I can install it. Worst case I can go to a friends computer tomorrow and try to burn a cd there. Unless anyone hs any other ideas on how to make the floppy work.

Max

dont know whether you'll want to try this but it might work.

use soemone elses pc with a working cdrom, check in bios if whether the harddrive works then install windows. pop the harddrive back into your pc and install required drivers from a flashdrive

Bushwacker,

I'm not sure how to do that. I'm going to try again to burn a cd and slipstream today....wish me luck. If it doesn't work watch for the mushroom cloud over my house...it's gonna be ugly!

Thanks Max

GA-945GCMX-S2 (rev. 6.6) motherboard only have ICH7 controller which doesn't support RAID. If I'm not mistaken, you don't need a driver to have WinXP installed.

Is your SATA hard drive detect in the BIOS? Is it set to AHCI? Do you have SATA PCI or PCIE adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back