TechSpot

winxp service problems

By aod20
Nov 14, 2002
  1. Hey all,

I just upgraded to win xp pro sp1 from windows ME. It all works great except my cd burner doesnt burn cds all the way and after I log in the computer freezes until these certain services load. They are either svchost.exe, pctsplk.exe, dllhost.exe, or the cd writer imap service. It will go and show the desktop, stall for like 30 seconds to a few minutes, then finally load the other services and work fine. Can someone help me out on this? I have read the service article on what to set them to. I already did all that, but this started before I ever messed with the services. Also I have a yamaha external burner and I am using nero 5.5.7 burning rom to burn with. If someone can help please do, thanks.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Well to start things off you might need to update your via 4 in 1 drivers. Those can be found at www.viaarena.com

As far as the computer loading slow, I have experienced this problem from time to time, and to tell you the truth, I didn't change anything on purpose and it finally started loading faster.

So maybe someone else can help you with that, but I had problems with my burner when I upgraded as well. I installed the newest 4 in 1 drivers, as well as up to date ASPI drivers. This fixed my problem, but not my fiance's. I still can't seem to get her burner to work at all.

Hope this rambling helps.......If not, someone else will post something more worth while.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Sounds like Very slow startup loading taskbar. Some services just take a long time to start sometimes, disabling some could help but that could also create new problems.

5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

You might try updating Nero http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#root to v5.5.9.17

I also found some references to CD Burning problems in the MSKB but all those fixes should have been included in SP1.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.