TechSpot

wireless access points

By tmbdl86
Apr 14, 2007
  1. howz it goin people

i have a question - can anybody tell me how to wirelessly set up my printer for my laptop to print off it

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Please tell us your printer model, and the wireless setup you now have. It is usually easier to initially setup the printer on a usb cable until it is working properly, then add the wireless component to the operation.

4. tmbdl86

tmbdl86 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i am in a dorm room setup. i have a laptop and a desktop, and I want to set up my printer so I can wirelessly print from my laptop. Yes, my laptop is wireless, but my printer is not. I have a U.S. Robotics maxG router...it has a USB port as well. Do I need a wireless modem? Or can I just hook the printer and the router with a USB cord, and then have my laptop connect with the router? my printer is a Lexmark Z32

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

It would be less expensive to buy a wireless printer.
    What you are attempting to do will likely not be reliable, if it works at all, with a Z32... not to mention the lost time.

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Your router seems to have the print server capability, so yes, you connect the printer to your router via USB and Read The Friendly Manual.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.