Wireless adapter loses connection frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchmo

I have a Netgear g wireless router and a b adapter (receiver) for my desktop. The adapter loses its connection to the router at sporadic intervals. There isn't any pattern to the connection loss.

Once the connection is lost, there are several ways to bring it back. One way is to open the Network panel and disable the wireless connection and then re-enable it. The other is to pull the USB wireless receiver from the port and re-inserting it. Another way is to restart the computer.

Does anyone else experience the same problem? I've asked tons of people, and many people have the same problem, but no one knows how to stop it from happening.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The same sort of thing happened to my sisters computer. After spending hours getting rid of spyware and virii, it went away and worked fine for a few months. Only to have her get more crap on her computer and now it's disconnecting again. Oh well....

Just clean up your computer a bit. That helped me out immensly.

Virus and spyware

Probably unlike your sister, I am an ultra-geek. I run antivirus (Norton) and anti-spyware (Ad-Aware) frequently, and there is no chance of infestation. I defrag like a maniac, and I search through the registry regularly for hardware conflicts.

But thanks for the suggestion. It does seem like a common problem.

Do you have DHCP enabled or not?
Whireless routers have sometimes problems with that. Try to enable it if you don't have it already.

hum; a G-mode router accessed by a B-mode client. Some dual mode routers
have problems with this -- try forcing the Router into stricly B-mode to avoid
the duality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back