Wireless Band Usage

TheDevopsGuy

We've had 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands for years now.

Recently with the introduction of 6GHz and 60GHz what would be the general use case for both of these bands?

6GHz is overall a beefier 5GHz band with larger bands and more spaced out channels with slightly better bandwidth, whereas 60GHz is legitimately a monster in bandwidth throughput but in reality will there ever be any consumer/company which will deploy such a limited distance technology?

Where will we even see 60GHz routers even being used if ever? If not, what was the real purpose of the introduction of this band?

I use 60GHz for short PTP and PTMP commercial links. There are some consumer products available currently. I use the Mikrotik Wireless Wire in places where wires cant be run. I live in a rural area where a lot of farmers and companies use these to connect buildings where it is not feasible to run fiber or other infrastructure.

I use 60GHz for short PTP and PTMP commercial links. There are some consumer products available currently. I use the Mikrotik Wireless Wire in places where wires cant be run. I live in a rural area where a lot of farmers and companies use these to connect buildings where it is not feasible to run fiber or other infrastructure.
So youre connecting commercial links through wireless dish ptp links? How efficient do these run if I may ask?

Gigabit links in most cases. However rain fade is a factor. Also keep in mind this is for short range. Yes. @jobeard you are correct. There is also an AP and SM model that allow 8 simultaneous links per AP.

https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_60gx3_ap

https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_60g

Quite interesting. In our wireless classes we talked about line of sight wireless technologies but never in vast detail.

What would be the difference from a line of sight 5GHz to 60GHz? Since were talking about a higher frequency range is there any effect at all with the positioning of the dishes and the distances?

So with 5GHz you can go much farther. Using 4' - 6' dishes you can get connections to link at 10+ miles. Data rates are much less however due to the fact that if you want gigabit speeds you have to use the entire 80MHz upper and lower. This opens the link to interference. Other than my own gear there is almost no congestion in the 24GHz or 60GHz band so connections modulate fully. I have been working with PTP and PTMP wireless for 5 years now, and there are continuous improvements to the amounts of bits per hertz that can be attained.

So with 5GHz you can go much farther. Using 4' - 6' dishes you can get connections to link at 10+ miles. Data rates are much less however due to the fact that if you want gigabit speeds you have to use the entire 80MHz upper and lower. This opens the link to interference. Other than my own gear there is almost no congestion in the 24GHz or 60GHz band so connections modulate fully. I have been working with PTP and PTMP wireless for 5 years now, and there are continuous improvements to the amounts of bits per hertz that can be attained.
When you mention modulation were talking about the individual data rates being transmitted?

zItDhkH.png

Such as these above?

I'm guessing modulation would probably refer to OFDM and QAM in this case? Which if im not mistaken is just the same data rates above in different specific modulation such as QAM-64-256 ect.

Back