Wireless Broadband and internet gaming problem...

By Doman64
Jun 19, 2007
  1. Hi,

Rencently i got wireless broadband to my house. I tried to log in into starcraft to play on and it wouldn't let me connect. I've tried to log in into Everquest 2, same things happens, says something about a server time out. I was wondering if anyone had problem with wireless broadband and multiplayer gaming? I was told that I could try to get a static IP address and it may help me with my problem.

I forgot to say that it doesn't do that with every game, i can log in to World of Warcraft with no problem.
  2. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

check correct router ports are open for those particular games... if needed.
  3. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Check your firewall settings. Since you're using a router, you should make sure your Windows Firewall is turned off (or if you have a security suite from Norton or someone else, ensure that firewall is turned off too.)
  4. Doman64

Doman64 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I don't have any router or any firewall turned on (i dont have any antivirus installed or firewall installed right now only the windows firewall but it's turned off)
  5. almcneil

My mistake, sorry. I presumed you meant you have a wireless router when you said wireless broadband. Anyhow, try flushing your Internet caches and SSL state in Internet Options. If it still is a problem, re-post.
  6. Doman64

didnt work, any more suggestion?
  7. almcneil

Did you go to the web site for the game host and check their FAQ for possible resolutions? That's what I would do.
  8. Doman64

I did, they told me at the end to contact my ISP. Contacted my ISP and they told me to contact SoE and Blizzard first....
  9. Doman64

hehe good one, but got any more suggestion before the sledge hammer? :slurp:
  10. Doman64

Just to let you guys know after a lot of research i found out that my problem was that i did not have a static IP address, now everything is working perfectly.
  11. yolak

yolak TS Rookie Posts: 20

how did you obtain ur static IP add? any configurations?

pls tell me i got the same problem too

12. Doman64

you can obtain a static IP from your Internet Service Provider. Since static IP's are limited, i have to pay 10$ a month for it (you can always give it a try to see if it helps with your problem) there's no big configuration to do, for me the only thing i had to do was to put the numbers for the IP address, the subnet mask and the default gateway (which your ISP should give you) under TCP/IP properties in my local area connection( network connections in control panel) if you have a router then you may have to configure you router instead.

hope it will help you. I wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post. Hopefully this info will help gamers that are stuck with wireless broadband :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.