Wireless Connection for ADSL Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackygood

Hi guys, currently I'm using this ADSL router for my Internet connection.

kuuoo555img600x31411524400815115uy0.jpg

We're buying a new computer but It's not going to be in the same room as mine, and both computers need to have Internet Connection.

Since you can have 4 Ethernet Connections on this router, is there some kind of

wireless hardware that can enable both computers to be able to connect to the Internet?

thanks,

mack

You can use the ethernet ports to let both pcs access the net. But you will have to use a ethernet cable for this.

Try a wireless "access point', not a router. The access point will act as a gateway, your router will still assign IP address and stuff like that, access point takes care of the data transfer. The access point will plug into one of your ethernet ports. Make sure you do something about security, either enable MAC address filtering, or a WEP key. I am running a Intel Pro 2011 AP, I think it was intended more for a business than home use, and the initial setup was a hassle, but it works great now. I bought mine off eBay, still in the box for cheap.

Yes, I'd suggest buying an access point. Unless you don't want that router anymore, then you can just buy a wireless router and have 1 setup to complete.

Please post back with any questions you have about either setup.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks for the answers guys, since I can't replace the router I guess I'll have to buy an access point.

Could you guys give some pictures and info on what an access point is and how it works?

Thanks,

mack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back