Wireless Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Hey I have a really strange problem with my network. I have a WRT54G v2.0 with DD-WRT firmware. I have had all sorts of firmwares such as the stock one, thibor 15c, and sveasoft. The wired portion of the network is flawless, but the wireless one is really out of wack, and I don't know if it is the router itself kicking the wireless computer off, configuration settings in the router, or the wireless usb (D-link DWL g122) It kicks the computer off for long periods of time then randomly connects for a couple hours. Then it tries to connects, connects, and diconnects immediately after until I stop using the wireless for a couple hours. I don't know what to do or where to start, I generally can figure stuff like this out...but i feel helpless. I replaced the wireless usb with a brand new one of the same type and the problem still persists. Help!!!!!!

Well it is a pretty old router...I'd say atleast 3 years. It is version 2.0 of the WRT54g's...they went all the way up to 5.0 i belive, then the L. I just tried changing the driver on the wireless computer's side, with no luck. I guess my only choice is to try a different router?

it may not be a hardware problem, it may be software related.

The WindowsXP wireless zero configuration wireless service makes it very easy to connect to a network, but [at least in my case] it does a poor job of keeping it connected when there are multiple networks in the area.

to check if the WZCS is the issue, try disabling it after you've connected to your network. the easiest way to do that is click start > run > type: net stop WZCSVC.

it may not fix it but it's worth a shot. cheers :wave:

Well I tried the one that came with D-link with the same results. Changing the driver didnt fix it, but my friend stopped by with his router and I tried his and so far so good, I am leaning towards the old age of the router as being the culprit. Will keep updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back