Wireless Interent Connection Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobwill

Hello,

I am running a desktop system with XP (SP2) as an OS. I use Avast anti virus, Sunbelt Kerio Firewall and Spybot search and destroy.

I connect to the internet via a belkin router / modem combination. (A Belkin ADSL2 + Modem with Wireless G router). I am hard wired to this.

My house mate also connects to the internet using this router. He connects wirelessly. He finds that he is able to connect for about 20 minutes to (sometimes) an hour and then the connection fails. He currently puts this down to over heating. He tries a reboot - this occasionally works, but not always. Otherwise it is a case of turning the laptop off and leaving it for several hours. Obviously this is not the best solution.

We do not use the network for file sharing / gaming. It is only to provide us both with internet access.

Any thoughts or directions to posts that have a similar theme would be a great help.

Will.

Hello Again,

Sorry - should have looked at the posts more thoroughly myself. I am starting to find out interesting things about 'NAT filtering' - whatever that is. :)

Will.

One wireless router isn't enough for two story dwelling you need two and sometimes you need larger ANT if the wireless router doesn't support high power.

So start off with one wireless router and keep the wireless laptop nearby so you can test the signal. It should be 100%, then move around with the wireless laptop and see if the signal drops? If it drops move the wireless router around in the wrong you have it. I find keeping them near corner and windows does help and if you get two one should be directly above the other on the second floor..

ALWAYS look for a firmware update on these kinds of issues :)

Also look to see if there are other wireless stations near by -- change to a
channel that is NOT being used by anyone else.

Thank you both for your responses.

I don't think that distance is an issue as the laptop is about 10 feet from the router, on the same level broadcasting through a stud partition wall.

The firmware on the router is up to date.

My assumption has been that there is either a badly set setting or some kind of software conflict. My flat mate runs Norton Security Centre (2003 - I think). We have tried turning this off but to no avail.

On the router I have set MAC filtering, have a 128bit WEP key, and have disabled SSID broadcast. My flat mate has all the appropriate information and is able to access the internet. He does not move his laptop around the house. It stays on his desk plugged into the mains. He is often able to do things like run a Windows Update, or update his virus definitions. However when he wants to surf or do work the system locks him out fairly rapidly.

He has told me that he gets a 'proxy error' - but I have not yet been able to see the error message to Google it.

Will

To turn off NS you would have to uninstall it. I wouldn't recommend using that program might be causing your mate the problem or it has been known to slow down the pc. Can you post what the proxy error saids? Your mate can do a print screen and save the image to MS Word copy and paste method. A better way is to download print key (freeware version) and when you hi print screen the print key would kick in and create a screen dump and you can save to any format. Unload the picture here or use www.putfile.com (another free hosting site)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back