Wireless Issue - Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I just purchased an Acer Travelmate laptop and long story short, although wireless is up and running and has detected my home network and attempts to connect, it never reaches the "connected" stage.

It continues to "Acquiring Network Address" then disconnects for a fraction of a second and then goes back to "Acquiring network Adress" and at the end of about 5 minutes after going through this loop several times, stops at "limited or no connectivity".

My home connection is WPA enabled with has a network key that I have input correctly.

I do remember resolving a similar issue with my wifes laptop by simply uninstalling a third party wireless software and checking the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

I cannot find any third party software on this laptop as it has a built in wireless network adapter (Intel). "Use Windows to configure......." is checked.

I have checked all configs and even turned off the Windows firewall. The laptop comes with Norton internet security -even disabling this did not do the trick.

Can anyone help me with this? I will appreciate any assistance to resolve this issue.

Many thanks
Jonathan

HI Jcastelino and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

There are 2 stages to getting a wireless connection

1) The network is found and the process begins
2) The security key is sent and if correct then an IP address is assigned.

If your only getting as far as number 1 then the fault is with the security settings.

Try setting the router security to OFF and see if the fault persists.

If it does connect then your WEP key or security settings are wrong.

Regards

The firewall has nothing to do with making a connection, but rather controls what
kind of traffic flows OVER a connection. You can leave MS Firewall Active without any Exceptions.

Get the insecure connection to work first, then work on the secured/encrypted
connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back